Author Topic: Thanks God I am not the only one  (Read 3793 times)

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
Thanks God I am not the only one
« on: October 22, 2009, 04:11:09 pm »
Delta 767 Lands On Taxiway

A couple of Delta Airlines pilots have been suspended after the Boeing 767 they were flying from Rio de Janeiro landed on a taxiway at Atlanta Hartsfield Airport early Monday morning. The FAA reported there were no other aircraft on the taxiway and the landing and rollout were normal. Spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said the crew was dealing with a medical emergency on board and had been cleared for Runway 27R.

Instead, the crew landed on taxiway M, which runs parallel to the 12,000-foot runway. There was no indication that approach, runway or taxiway lights were malfunctioning. Taxiway landings occur from time to time, but Bergen told Atlanta media that she believes it was the first such incident in Atlanta.

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Re: Thanks God I am not the only one
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 07:10:42 pm »
Oops !!

Difficult to know how much was going on in the cockpit if there was a medical emergency until a full incident report comes out but that's a lucky escape for all on board  :o
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
Re: Thanks God I am not the only one
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 08:35:49 pm »
The fact that nothing was on M is probably partly to "blame" in the crews mind. If there had been traffic on M it would have been obvious to them that it was a taxiway and not a runway... why the automated systems didn't notice lord only knows. But like Dom says, need to wait for the incident report to know for sure.
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON