Author Topic: An unexpected crash when landing. Scenery related?  (Read 4315 times)

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
An unexpected crash when landing. Scenery related?
« on: October 23, 2009, 06:03:23 am »
A few minutes ago just when landing at RPLL in Phillipines as I was about to start flaring at 100' over the runway I had a crash warning and 11 hours of flying were lost. Everything looked good. I don't have a clue why this happened. The only explanation I could think of is scenery related as I installed a new scenery for RPLL before the flight. I will check that tomorrow after I get my anger over.
I apologize to the EHM community for damaging the record we were achieving with almost a month without crashing.

I should add that the approach and almost-landing was being performed using the excellent MD-11 AutoLand facility.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 04:10:36 pm by EHM-1749 Hector »

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Re: An unexpected crash when landing. Scenery related?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 07:29:05 pm »
It certainly seems likely to be an invisible building crash, sadly these still happen all too frequently with addon sceneries  ::)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 07:48:36 pm »
Hi Dominic,
the strange thing is that a building crash is not reported. I just finished a short fly in the MD11 to RPLL and executed the same approach in the same conditions and there was no problem. So, I don't think it is scenery related which is worst because now I am in the limbo.
I normally use FS Flight Keeper and the ACARS report shows that the crash was just very shortly before touchdown. It was about 1230am at home but in plain broad light in Manila. No IVAO traffic. Nothing. EHM ACARS also shows the speed was just the Vref of 155 kts and the v/s was less than 200 fps because the flare had already started. The problem is that I will learn nothing from this crash. 

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:34:35 pm »
That really does seem a mystery - if you've done a successful flight along the same flightpath I can't think what else could have caused this. Sorry!

Anybody else got any ideas ???
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management