Author Topic: Active Sky and FSX  (Read 4775 times)

Offline EHM-1570 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
Active Sky and FSX
« on: January 23, 2010, 08:03:53 pm »
I have been using FSX for the last few weeks along with Active Sky and I get problems with the Airspeed fluctuating wildly, I have just completed a flight and got an overspeed penalty while in the cruise at 38000ft, the airspeed went from 265kts to 310kts in a couple of seconds, when I looked at the ACARS log the wind speed had shot up thus the rapid increase in airspeed. Has anyone else suffered the same problem?. I have used Active Sky Advanced and AFX with the same results.
Bruce Woodbridge
EHM 1570

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Re: Active Sky and FSX
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 08:42:45 pm »
If you use the paid-for version of FSUIPC (I don't ... ) then there should be an option in there called "weather smoothing". That should effectively reduce the problem from "occurring pretty much" to "occurring every now and then". If you don't, ..., well then I'm curious for whatever solution someone else may come up with ;)
I had the same last week, when the 65 kts tailwind flipped around and became an 85 kt headwind...
It's there in native FSX with real world weather, with ActiveSky weather, IvAp weather, REX weather, ... probably all weather generators. In the vertical plane it is because of way too strict layers, in the horizontal plane due to switching weather stations with different METARS.
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-1570 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:22:48 am »
I do not think it was a change of weather stations because according to the ACARS the wind was a constant 85kts for quite a long period then for just one sample of data the wind went to 137kts then returned back to 85kts and remained there. I have wind smoothing enabled in both Active Sky and FSUICP, although I believe Active Sky only uses simconnect.
Bruce Woodbridge
EHM 1570

Offline EHM-1242 Stef

• VA Management
  • FL100
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 10:02:53 am »
Hi Bruce,

This seems to happen mainly when using ActiveSky Advanced (ASA), and the topic has been discussed on various sites ever since ASA was launched. Check out the PMDG forum, especially the MD-11 section, where i am sure you will lots of references to this theme. Most widely accepted 'plus-minus' solution is that which Eric-Jan brought forward, to use the wind-smoothing feature in FSUIPC (of which to get the full version can only be considered to be a very worthwhile investment!)

Am still using the 'old' ActiveSky 6.5, both with FS9 and FSX, and luckily (for me) AS6.5 apparently does not seem to produce these mad windwshifts as ASA seems to do.

Cheers,
Stef
"A Boeing is a plane, built by idiots, for geniuses to fly. An Airbus is a plane, built by geniuses, for idiots to fly..."