Author Topic: New gaming rig  (Read 23457 times)

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
Re: New gaming rig
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2011, 10:53:53 am »
A few days late, but lots has happened in the mean whilst...

The Corsair AX750 PSU is a lovely thing. As previously mentioned it's a fully modular design, meaning all of the cables can be unplugged from the body of the PSU (much nicer than the OCZ I was using previously, where the ATX cables were fixed) which makes installing everything much easier as there's no cables to get caught on things. My PSU tester suggests its' voltages are rock-solid and pretty much 0.1V above standards (so, 12.1V, 5.1V and 3.4V) on all the output rails. Those of you who shudder a little seeing that, do remember that PSUs are now expected to routinely deal with overclocks (CPU and GPU), and even this little extra voltage can make all the difference. Styling-wise, it's plain black throughout, with a little gold and white used on the labelling. I like this (you may find this hard to believe in a moment), but some wouldn't be able to live with that. All in all, I heartily recommend the Corsair AX series PSUs, and may well get a "lower order" unit from the Corsair range to replace the PSU in my Linux server, which has been flakey of late.

Now, the other news I have (for those that don't follow me on Twitter): I have my new gaming rig up and running at stock clocks on air cooling! Pics below are from just now, while I'm installing X-Plane (long old install if you've not done it yourself). Observant readers will spot that the case is not the one mentioned previously in this thread: it's an Antec Lanboy Air, and it's got much more free space inside, which I'm definitely going to need for the WC loops that I've yet to build. Mini-review following the pictures.

(Mini-review of the case: a great case to work with, comes apart to the bare yellow rails if needed. Comes with five 120mm fans (always on blue LED throughout), all of which either have a high/low switch or rotary controller for speed, and Antec say you can fit 15 fans total, which I'm prepared to believe. There's separate caddies for the motherboard and PSU, with lots of room behind the motherboard caddy for hiding cables. Personally, I don't like the shade of yellow too much (it's also available in blue in the UK, and I've seen reports of red and green outside the UK), but since it's just painted steel and screwed together, I could always get is stripped and repainted. Wasn't cheap at 125GBP, but it's a performance case, and in that arena it's toward the lower end at the top of the pile. Overall, I like it.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:18:06 am by EHM-0654 Murray »
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON