Author Topic: X-plane: The voyage of discovery begins........  (Read 42411 times)

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Re: X-plane: The voyage of discovery begins........
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 08:53:36 pm »
Haha, couldn't help myself ...
just ordered from X-plane.org, including Heinz' G.A. package :)

I'm sure I'll add to this thread later on...
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 10:14:18 pm »
Another maniac  ;D

Welcome to the party.

Here's an upcoming challenger 300 by dden

Rain Effect. Challenger 300 for X-Plane.

Oh and the Saab 340A due out this month - might even give the PMDG JS41 a run for its money

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:36:58 pm by EHM-1997 Alexander »
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 03:22:25 pm »
Here are the first screen shots I have managed to take featuring the Shade Tee Micro PC-12.
I am still getting used to the controls so bear with me climbing the learning curve.

I am still getting used to the avioincs and basic controls as its very different from FSX.

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 03:29:48 pm »
Use the shortcut "Control + . " (full stop) to take the screenshot ted and it won't capture the menu open.

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 12:45:28 pm »
Clear Skies plugin installed and working. Thats a nice piece of software.

XSB installed and working (but ugly compared to FSInn).

Starting to get my head around the EFIS/HSI selectors/general avionics of the PC-12.

Still need to test FLogger connection.

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 08:25:50 pm »
OK guys, count me in too!  ;D
I just finished installing X-plane, and updated to v 9.67.
Installed the EHM WILD DHC-6, and mapped my yoke and rudder pedals, so I'm now good to go on X-plane.

Still a lot to learn on Plane maker, WED, etc., but that will all come in due time.
I downloaded X-IvAp for IVAO online flight (still need to install / try out), need to make X-plane talk with FL4. Considering "Canadian Rockies", STM PC-12, need to find out if NL-2000 scenery (or Google maps) can be somehow mapped to XP scenery. Find some good EHAM and EGLL scenery, ..., a lot to do and discover! :)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 08:51:54 pm »
EHAM: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=5516

make sure to download and install openscenery - this is a collaborative library of stuff like trees, static planes etc that freeware authors can include in their sceneries.

http://www.opensceneryx.com

EGLL: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=9819 (also includes gatwick)

Aerosofts Mega Airport Heathrow also converts fairly well using marginal's fs2xplane scripts, although you'd have to do a  bunch of tidying up.

Make sure to set runways follow contours off.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:54:15 pm by EHM-1997 Alexander »

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 07:13:13 am »
Thank you, Alexander!
You obviously know your way around in the X-Plane community   ;)

And I have a bunch to do, the coming evenings  ;D
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 11:27:48 am »
Ok I must be doing something wrong as FLogger throws an exception when I try to connect.

It says detecting new FSX install (I presume this is Xplane) and then throws an error loading scenery straight away.

I have XUIPC loaded and working.

Any ideas?

**edit**I had a PC-12 flight all set to go in Xplane but flew it in FSX instead as I could not get FLogger running boohiss  ;D. And now that I have got a really fair handle on the flight model and avionics and can start from "cold+dark" I am ready to take this lovely bird live on our routes. I have to say I can highly recommend this excellent plane.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:18:56 pm by EHM-2381 Ted »

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2011, 01:49:11 pm »
Have you read and followed the pdf in the docs folder of the flogger download titled: "Using FL4 with X-Plane.pdf"?

There are some setup steps you have to follow. I attach a copy to the post.

Good to see you recommend the STMA PC-12. I may pick up a copy to repaint at some point.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:41:45 pm by EHM-1997 Alexander »

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2011, 03:29:11 pm »
Ahhh I was not aware of the FLogger specific .pdf instructions. I will have another go and set it up later today.

Also I am working on a full write-up of the STMA PC-12 as I have yet to see an independent review. I'm just waiting on a couple questions being answered from the devs.

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 03:39:17 pm »
Only thing that put me off was the artwork and modelling in the cockpit. I can get past it, but it's a bit of a throwback compared to how beautiful some of the others are in x-plane and FSX.

Look forward to your review.

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 08:52:10 pm »
Ok I am attempting to get FLogger working; however, I have run into a snag.

From the manual:

Locate the folder where XPUIPC is installed, normally it’s <X-Plane installation root
folder>\Resources\plugins. Change the “XPUIPCOffsets.cfg” file, adding the lines below at the end:
# Force XPUIPC to recognize XP instead of impersonating FSX
Offset 0x3308 UINT16 4 rw 137

I am finding no such file in the plugins file-I only found it in the XPUIPC package 1.9.0 folder that I downloaded. Was I supposed to move that file manually into the plug-in directory?

The three initial files generated by the first run of XPUIPC are present as expected: XPUIPC.log, XPUIPC.txt, and XPUIPC.ini.

In the plugins directory I only see the XPUIPC.xpl file.

Yuck....I hate mucking about with this lol.

Any ideas? Or do I need to actually create the offset file myself with just that command string?

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2011, 10:30:30 pm »
you can copy that file to the same folder you put the plugin itself and then make the edit

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 08:21:45 pm »
Great success with FLogger now up and working in Xplane.

Now I can go fly the PC-12 properly and with purpose. As I am going to buy that lovely scenery you recommended I'm probably gonna have to buy that Air Hauler for Xplane too lol.

That review is coming along nicely and while I still have no real problem recommending the aircraft to you guys I would prefer to get a couple of questions answered regarding the landing lights, a couple of blurry/blinky electronic gauges, and the night cockpit lighting. Don't get me wrong-I think the package is terrific for the money (USD $25) but I want to see what the dev says about those little niggly items.

One more little chore to do and that is to make sure I can get FS Commander to talk to Xplane so I don't have to program in those bloody SID/STARS lol.

**EDIT**Hahaha yes yes YES FS Commander totally works with XP and all the connected functions work including autosetting of NAV freqs to COM1, autoheading, and moving map. Swweeeeeeeeet! Not to mention simple and no headaches  ;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:37:47 pm by EHM-2381 Ted »

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2011, 08:38:06 pm »
I have FSCommander talking to x-plane - it'll work without any setup now you have XPUIPC installed, just use the airport database you already have from fs9.

It uses XPUIPC.

I even run it on my laptop via the xpuipc wide utility (included in the download), and at the price (free) compared with what I paid for FSUIPC and WideFS, I'm very happy.

Even the autoheading button in the pop up gps tab works to control the plane.

Don't forget to grab a load of airport scenery from x-plane.org - makes a huge difference.

Was the scenery I recommended the Tom Curtis stuff? http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/x-planestore/Categories?category=Scenery%3ATom+Curtis+Original+Scenery

Aside from FSCommander, there are two options for FMC in x-plane:

VasFMC (freeware): http://www.vas-project.org/ (I had trouble getting this to work and gave up on it as I have FSC)

and

uFMC (payware): http://ufmc.eadt.eu/Universal_FMC/Home.html
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:41:32 pm by EHM-1997 Alexander »

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2011, 11:56:18 pm »
Yeah I am getting the whole Curtis package next week.I had a couple of questions for him he was kind enough to answer so I'm all set.

I have also been downloading and installing airfields as I need them...so far just EGLL/EGKK.

Those payware FMC's look meh in all honesty. Its going to take an Aerosoft/PMDG-quality dev to properly implement it. But not an issue as my AIRAC is current and with FSC running sweet I only need to program in the rough details just to get the cockpit GPS magenta line lol. And FSC handles all the SID/STARS job done  8).

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2011, 07:18:22 am »
The Project Magenta cockpit software works in XP using XPUIPC, but it is hideously expensive. There's a PM-alike package (also payware, but not in the same pay league as PM) that should also work in XP, but I forget the name right now.
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 09:55:44 am »
Nothing is ever easy is it lol.

I set up for my first ProPilot flight on Xplane and now FLogger does not want to even launch. It throws an error when the .exe is loaded. The dreaded "FLogger has encountered a problem and needs to close would you like to tell Microsoft about it" one.

Specifically:

P9: systeminvalidoperationexception is what is shown in the error signature block.

Fabulous...its broken on Xplane, FSX, and standalone  >:(

**edit**I have changed nothing on the machine beyond latest WINXP update. As I want to fly I will just do the flight on VATSIM and report manually as I cannot be asked to mess with it at the moment. Perhaps its failing to launch due to site issues?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:58:33 am by EHM-2381 Ted »

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 05:42:54 pm »
how strange, not seen that issue before.

I suggest removing all the configuration files and re-running / setting up flogger.

As an aside, the uFMC looks far more feature complete (for a boeing style FMC) than the Aerosoft one in the AirbusX. I know what you mean though. Project Magenta will prob be my next move.

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 07:18:57 pm »
I will delete and re-install FLogger and hopefully it gets sorted out. If it borks again I'll screen shot it for you.

The trouble with uFMC that I can see is that it is not native to the aricraft. And jiggery-pokery with aircraft files is the last thing some folks (like myself) want to do unless it has to be done. Pro payware should have it fully incorporated if appropriate to the aircraft.

In any case with good planner tools like FSC you can either connect direct or just plug the route into the Xplane "FMS" for the same result.

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 08:21:22 pm »
Its screwed  :P

I deleted the previous install and downloaded the latest v4.0.4. FLogger.

Ran it against FSX with no problem.

Ran it against Xplane and set up with no issues per procedure and I edited the xml doc thus and reran against the still-running Xplane with this being final resulting xml file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<fs-installations xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <Items>
    <fs-installation id="FSX.1" fs-version="FSX" fs-path="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"
default="false" />
    <fs-installation id="XP9.1" fs-version="XP9" fs-path="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"
default="true" />

Closed it. Opened it again against Xplane and it threw an exception (see screenshot).
Opened it against FSX. Threw an exception.

Crap  >:(

It connects fine to EHM servers, authenticates etc...but seems to fall down instantly after being setup. I have to wonder if something really stupid and obvious is the culprit here.

Grrrrrrrrrr....I just want to fly. And this is surprising as FLogger has always worked like a charm.

I am on WINXP SP3 if it makes a difference.
If you want any of the FLogger files let me know. I also took a screenie of the offending exception.

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 08:34:47 pm »

I'm going to run through the instructions and see if I can replicate your problem and if I can find a solution.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:43:31 pm by EHM-1997 Alexander »

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 08:52:52 pm »
Cheers for that Alex I hope its easily reproduced. I am sure I followed all the directions to the letter.

Heres the exception:

**edit**I hope it was just something silly on my end. Go me being crash test dummy.

On the plus side I took a ton of screen shots today of the PC-12 and I'll give ya'll first peek at the review when I am done. Just got a new patch from the devs so I am being a guinea piglet today  ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:54:49 pm by EHM-2381 Ted »

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2011, 08:57:46 pm »
OK Ted,

I re-ran through the documented procedures and it works.

Firstly, if the xml you posted above is the whole of the file, then you are missing closing tags. Your file should contain all the following:

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<fs-installations xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <Items>
    <fs-installation id="FSX.1" fs-version="FSX" fs-path="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\" default="false" />
    <fs-installation id="XP9.1" fs-version="XP9" fs-path="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\" default="true" />
  </Items>
</fs-installations>

When you go through the process, where it says confirm the error, you should click 'ok'. On first run of flogger before you edit the file, after clicking yes to the error that appears "no scenery.cfg" you should get a the single row horizontal bar with button on right, you should not click cancel to the error.

Once you have got to this point and closed the flogger, edit the file so the contents are as above (or as attached (just overwrite the file you have with this one).

Check that a My documents/FlightLogger4/XP9.1 folder exists. If not, you didn't do the first run against x-plane step right - remember you run against FSX, then against X-Plane (with the added lines in XPUIPC) before you make the installations.cfg edit.

On the flogger run after the changes to the installations.cfg it will take a while to rebuild scenery and download timetables.

I attach an installations.cfg file edited for you specifically (Noone else unless running against FSX in default c:prog files location)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 07:06:42 am by EHM-0654 Murray »