Author Topic: Winter Operations with WILD  (Read 17904 times)

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Winter Operations with WILD
« on: December 08, 2011, 12:26:01 pm »

As you'll have seen from the News Block, WILD is gearing up for true Winter Operations given the extreme weather experienced by our bush pilots in Canada ;)

To take up this challenge you need to redownload the freeware PAD Twin Otter from the Fleet pages as this installer will now add a ski variant to your wheeled Twin Otter (other versions to follow). This lets you continue operating into those runways that have got a thick layer of packed snow or ice AND you can try landing on glaciers, frozen rivers and lakes to give the tourists a real adventure! If you're using Flight Logger this will register fine as an intermediate stop on the ground and you can continue your flight to your planned destination after the pax have taken their photos and then report the flight as usual ;)

The WILD Bush Pilot's Manual has been updated with a Winter Ops section and some new links at the end to help you learn more about the risks and techniques needed to stay safe during the colder months.

There is a new gauge on the instrument panel too which shows whether your plane is experiencing structural icing - shown blue for light, yellow for medium and red for severe (or get ready to stall!):-

The gauge also simulates the effects of any structural icing properly making this much more of a hazard to your plane's performance than happens by default in MSFS - please read the author Charles Owen's excellent explanation which you will find in the plane's "panel docs" folder. Make sure you know what to do to deal with structural icing but also how to avoid flying for prolonged periods within an area of severe icing should you encounter it. If you don't, you are very likely to lose control of your aircraft ;)

Have fun!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:01:22 pm by EHM-1465 Dominic »
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
Re: Winter Operations with WILD
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 03:23:15 pm »
This is "filled with awesome" news!

I just started flying out of CYCG again in the PC-12 and its time to get back in the Otter for winter fun!

Is there a paint needed/coming for the Aerosoft version?

And is there a possibility of adding some more localized charters to the destination list as the current availability is limited to the main airfields within a 3-500nm radius. Or adding some more selections to the "Dispatch Map"? Gotta take advantage of that Orbx scenery you know  ;D.

I feel major screenshots coming on this weekend!

By the way when is the CYCG hub going to finally open for transfers?

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 03:45:27 pm »
I'm glad you like the new Winter plan Ted :)

The Aerosoft version already has a paint job, and this will work with the ski model in their package too - we're going to upload a zip file with instructions shortly but it should only require an amendment to the aircraft.cfg I believe ;)

As to destinations, all the WILD destinations are small bush type fields, there aren't any "main"airfields among them - how are you searching for them Ted? You should find places like CYAL Alert Bay, CBW2 Kitimat, CBD5 Takla Narrows, CYDL Dease Lake, CYCP Blue River, CBK7 Toad River, CYBA Banff and many others, in fact 23 bush or small fields spread out in all directions. They are placed along 5 main routes (A to B to C to D etc) so you need to search for WILD flights on the timetable search facility to see them all at once.

CYCG Hub is counted as a sub-Hub so as yet we aren't basing any pilots there but that said, there's no theoretical reason not to as it doesn't limit your flights in any way. I'll see what Alexander thinks and whether there are any technical reasons to prevent this :)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1838 Andrew

• Martian transfer
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 06:02:37 pm »
Don't wish to be a party pooper, but was the issue of the Eurharmony twin otter prop fixed.
In most of my PAD otters if you as adjusted prop rpm ,throttle ,you could see these changes in spot view ,however in the EH OTT the propeller condition always remained the same (The visual appearance)  making it hard to judge if your throttle adjustments were actually doing anything.
Sorry if I haven't explained myself very well.
cheers Andy

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 07:40:39 pm »
Aha I found the right way to search and book the little strip flights.

Coolio  :D

Yeah I already have the skin....I'm just not sure how to add the skis so I'll wait for the config file. I need to remember how to program that ridiculous GPS unit too.

Cheers

Ted

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 08:10:44 pm »
Ted,

The Aerosoft ski Twotter zip file is now available from the Fleet pages containing full instructions - enjoy  ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 08:14:40 pm »
Don't wish to be a party pooper, but was the issue of the Eurharmony twin otter prop fixed.
In most of my PAD otters if you as adjusted prop rpm ,throttle ,you could see these changes in spot view ,however in the EH OTT the propeller condition always remained the same (The visual appearance)  making it hard to judge if your throttle adjustments were actually doing anything.
Sorry if I haven't explained myself very well.
cheers Andy

Andy,

As indicated previously, the Twin Otter we're using is a standard PAD model with all their base textures, we've just added our own exterior textures and I tweaked the panel a bit. Any issues with the prop texture is outside what we've done with it so I think you'd be best to e-mail support@premaircraft.com to see if they have an answer :)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 12:10:35 pm »
Regarding the Aerosoft one: it's as simple as copying a texture folder, and adding (copy/paste) a new airplane section to the appropriate aircraft.cfg. The trick is to do that at the correct location, as the DHC-6 with skis is set up as a separate airplane from the wheeled version (and the floats version. for that matter). So you get to see a long list of airplane folders. If you just put it in the "-300 ski" version, all should work OK

@Andy: Maybe it's a good idea if you mail your question to PAD support as well, as Dominic suggesed. I did also, last summer or so (when you first raised the problem), but I never got a reply. And it kinda got snowed under from there   :-[ sorry.
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-1838 Andrew

• Martian transfer
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 01:01:26 pm »
Regarding the Aerosoft one: it's as simple as copying a texture folder, and adding (copy/paste) a new airplane section to the appropriate aircraft.cfg. The trick is to do that at the correct location, as the DHC-6 with skis is set up as a separate airplane from the wheeled version (and the floats version. for that matter). So you get to see a long list of airplane folders. If you just put it in the "-300 ski" version, all should work OK

@Andy: Maybe it's a good idea if you mail your question to PAD support as well, as Dominic suggesed. I did also, last summer or so (when you first raised the problem), but I never got a reply. And it kinda got snowed under from there   :-[ sorry.

Hello Eric
I seem to be making some progress here. The good news is that the new Ski's equipped otter has prop textures that are fine and look realistic and respond to throttle/prop rpm ,However! for some reason the wheeled version still has the strange looking unrealistic spinning circle like textures.
But please don't worry ,in the scheme of things it ain't important ,I can still try out the ski variant.
CHEERS Andy  ;)

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 07:49:06 pm »
Andy,

I really don't know what's causing this as the prop textures are exactly the same for both of them - have you copied the new "skiplane" prop texture into the wheeled Twin Otter folder to see if that fixes it? I can only imagine a texture file has got mixed up in your installation somewhere along the way or possibly corrupted during a download?
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1838 Andrew

• Martian transfer
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 09:35:11 pm »
Andy,

I really don't know what's causing this as the prop textures are exactly the same for both of them - have you copied the new "skiplane" prop texture into the wheeled Twin Otter folder to see if that fixes it? I can only imagine a texture file has got mixed up in your installation somewhere along the way or possibly corrupted during a download?

Hello Dominic
I have over the years tried to love the PAD Twotter, but I guess we were never meant to be friends. I have found this aircraft to be very  hard to control manually and particularly  hard to land (and I am by no means a novice simmer) that I have decided to remove it from my hanger. I will stick with the DC3 which I have great enjoyment in flying  (I know its not a WILD aircraft ,but there are plenty of flights for me to enjoy.

Cheers Andy
 ;)

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 05:25:04 am »
Ok Andy, fair enough - sorry I couldn't find a solution for you as I personally really enjoy this plane  :)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1838 Andrew

• Martian transfer
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 05:40:00 pm »
Hello All
In the cold light of day i have decided to give the Otter another go .
PS Idiot question !!
Can the Ski's version be flown and landed from  a 'normal' airport? I can see wheels ,but are they usable when this aircraft is wearing ski's.
And also does this model come with the trim in a neutral position? I found that I could't take off ,and had to slew into the air. Also when I turned of the autopilot at the end of last night attempted flight prior to landing the aircraft promptly nosedived ala Stukka.
Andy
Certified Twin otter test pilot.

Well certified anyway

ps If i attempt a flight tonight ,I am going to chicken out and move the flight to summer time ,as I don't want to be handling the new de-icing gauge thingy until I am sure I can handle the plane generally.
Naughty I know!!

Offline EHM-1838 Andrew

• Martian transfer
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 06:08:40 pm »
Update 18.00hrs
Have just REIN the twotter .
Checked the trim .
No problems there.
BUT! the same problem is occurring I.E. the plane won't take off.
And also the ice gauge is showing yellow even though I have set my flight in summer time.
I thought (haven't read up on all aspects of the ice gauge yet) but I thought it should be showing a blue message if no ice problems are present.
Anyways
its probably something idiot I am doing.
PS i didn't have these issues with the original WILD otter (just the prop thing) the plane would take off correctly and fly with no problems.
No chance of putting that orig mod back for download i suppose?
cheers once more
sorry to be a pain.

Offline EHM-1838 Andrew

• Martian transfer
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 06:21:32 pm »

18.15 hrs
Just loaded up my original Scilly Isles Skybus twin otter (PAD Original) and that taxi's and takes of correctly.
There is definitely something going on with the latest WILD version.
Even when I apply max power at take-off the craft slews violently to the right and takes a lot of wild(sorry) and wonderful joy-stick yanking to keep it on the straight and narrowish ,it then refuses to take off anyway.
Anyways chaps its still no go in the snow I am afraid.
cheers Andy

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 08:08:29 pm »
Andy,

Sorry to hear of your latest problems but again I'm at a loss - the new ski model is just that - it is the PAD ski model (which can indeed be used both on snow and on tarmac) added into the original PAD Twin Otter folder with everything else the same - weights, trim, contact points - bar the panel ice gauge adjustment (which shouldn't affect any other systems unless severe icing is present). I am intrigued as to why your ice gauge is yellow though - are using MS weather or a weather addon? Where are you flying from? Please read the text file for the icing gauge, it explains it well ;)

However if you want to get rid of it you only have to go into the panel folder and add "//" (two forward slashes only) in front of :-

IN [Window00] - gauge125=ICE!IceWarning,  355,490,50,20

and in [VCockpit05] - gauge100=ICE!IceWarning,  255,585,50,20

The Ice Warning gauge is then disabled.

Please remind me - are you using FS9 or FSX?

I can only imagine this is a control issue - do you have rudder pedals with toe brakes set up? Sometimes this can be an issue as there are settings in some panel gauges to do with these - in fact, have you checked the Ground Handling panel while taxiing as this controls the brakes etc if active?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 08:17:16 pm by EHM-1465 Dominic »
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 08:17:10 pm »
I must admit that I haven't fired up the PAD Twotter myself yet, only the AeroSoft one for, I believe, only three times now. So I'm not sure if what I am about to say for the AeroSoft one, also goes for the PAD one.

The ground handling of the ski version is notably different from the wheeled version. There is definitely way less lateral stability. It's like as if it is standing on ... snow ;), sliding to the side if the wind is not directly head on. There's a lot of rudder work to keep her tracking in the right direction. The other big difference with the wheeled version is the braking action, or better: the lack thereof. And the resistance of the skis on the ground will make you want to use up pretty much all of the runway at Castlegar to gain sufficient speed. Or was that because I was fully fueled and maxed out on pax and cargo... I don't know, but I was surprised by the runway length I needed to get to Vr.
The skis are like shoes put on the wheel shaft structure. The wheels peep underneath the skis only a little bit, so the plane should actually drive, not slide, on tarmac. I guess that is difficult to model, since also on the tarmac, it feels like standing on snow.

Do you have separate rudder pedals, Andy? I ask, because Aileron movements significantly increase the take-off run, because of extra drag (and if you don't have rudder pedals, then you'd  have rudder coupled to aileron, and then you would need to move the stick to stay on track, which in turn also imposes Aileron movement). Does the PAD have a proper pitch trim indicator?

I won't be able to play with this until Monday evening, so that's why my 1000 questions for the obvious ;) I intend to fly the next Trans Siberia event leg that evening, but if I get home in time from work, I'll give the Twotter a little spin before that.

EDIT: Dominic typed his reaction in parallel to mine :)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 08:38:55 pm »
To respond to E-J's observations, the behaviour of the Aerosoft model is not really replicated in the PAD model - when taxiing on tarmac, the ski model should behave exactly the same as the normal wheels model and, having just retested mine in FSX in summer conditions, my aircraft took off by itself with no pitch input and the pitch trim (top right of the 2D panel) right in the middle which is the default load up setting. I then flew it hands-off for 5 minutes with almost no pilot input and it stayed stable and level.

EDIT - I take it all back - just run the same test in FS9 and somehow it's all messed up.

My apologies Andy - you're absolutely right, somehow between the test version I ran when setting this all up which worked fine and then the final installer version for FS9, the flight dynamics have got ruined - all the problems you've indicated above have just happened to me to. The FSX version is fine but the FS9 one needs a rework back to how I had it before - I'll get straight on it  :-[
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:41:25 pm by EHM-1465 Dominic »
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2381 Ted

• Cruise Altitude
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 09:44:07 pm »
And in the spirit of things:

Flying High Again

Uh oh....wheres the bloody field! Ice fog near CBL6....had to shoot the approach twice. Note how close I am to stall speed  ;D The fog makes the runways blend in horribly with the background.

Best part was FSX got a bit buggy and I could not use any mouse-driven cockpit controls....no autofeather on approach and landing is a bugger!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:46:03 pm by EHM-2381 Ted »

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 10:03:31 pm »
Andy - quick fix is to use the double slashes in reply #15 above to remove the ICE gauge from the panel - this fixed the issues for me immediately.

I will have a tinker around and see what got broken as this all worked fine in FS9 only a couple of days ago so I must have swapped or changed something unwittingly that's messed up the gauge/panel.

Let me know if that fixes the take-off issues for you please ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1838 Andrew

• Martian transfer
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 12:05:08 pm »
Andy - quick fix is to use the double slashes in reply #15 above to remove the ICE gauge from the panel - this fixed the issues for me immediately.

I will have a tinker around and see what got broken as this all worked fine in FS9 only a couple of days ago so I must have swapped or changed something unwittingly that's messed up the gauge/panel.

Let me know if that fixes the take-off issues for you please ;)

Dominic
I am feeling rather guilty now.
I realize that you all have busy lives and cant be attending to EH matters all the time.
I am about to do as you suggest (remove ice gauge) and see what happens.
I only need to take -off (if it does that OK I feel you are onto something). The other thing for me to do is set the AP ,fly with that for a short time ,and then disengage it and see if I go Stukka if not then Joy will be unbounded.
Right ! I am climbing into Pilot's seat right now.
I will let you know what happens.

PS My sim is FS9
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 12:26:52 pm by EHM-1838 Andrew »

Offline EHM-1838 Andrew

• Martian transfer
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 06:02:56 pm »
Hello Dominic
I am happy to report that I have just completed a Flight from CBL6 Radium Springs to  CYCG Castlegar with the modified Otter (minus ice gauge) and some of my own mods I.E my favorite third party gauges added ,and textures brutally modified to DXT3  ;D.
I even managed a half decent (didn't crash) landing.
I would just say that this PAD is TAD hard on performance...actually TAD is a little hard Tadish is probably a better description, but nothing that would stop me using this aircraft for more flights ,even turned on Autogen for the first time in ages to view the passing conifers.

Just to re-state my sim is FS9
PC Fairly long in the tooth .....P4 2.8 single ,2gb Ram ,GForce 6600GT 256RAM.
Cheers ANDY

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 08:28:04 pm »
Don't feel guilty Andy, I'm just glad we're getting somewhere with getting you into the air successfully  :D

I have a feeling (from tinkering a bit) that this Gauge has a 'memory' and that when I tested it in brutal weather I added some really severe airframe icing (see gauge authors text file in panels docs folder for explanation) to my own aircraft in FS9 and then copied this into the gauge that was uploaded with the new TwinOtter package. I'm not even sure that this is possible(!) but it's the only theory I can come up with why the Ice gauge would show a yellow moderate ice warning as soon as the plane starts when weather is set to summer. This would then explain the inability to take off etc since the Ice gauge messes up lift from the wings and tail and gives sudden stalls including to only one wing (which is what you and I both saw on take-off Andy).

I'm going to try and reverse this effect and will try and correct the plane installer soonest. In the meantime I hope you enjoy her in her amended state and sorry for the inconvenience ;)

EDIT - All tests to date support my theory above - even when flown in 50 degree Celsius heat, the yellow ice warning does not go away so I have e-mailed the gauge designer asking for his opinion and suggestions. I'll let you know ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:38:45 pm by EHM-1465 Dominic »
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-1838 Andrew

• Martian transfer
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 12:17:21 pm »
Hello Dominic
I was wondering if i can use the EuroHarmony WILD paint on the standard PAD (Scilly Sky bus 2D Non VC).I have tried the usual method ie WILD texture into Scilly Sky bus folder and add the fltsim entry to the Aircraft CFG ,but that is not working. I have tried tinkering with the Fltsim entry itself ,but no joy there ,the WILD livery will not show.
Any ideas please?
cheers Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 01:27:00 pm »
I think the Scilly Skybus is made by a different team than the one we use for our download. It's called the Globetwotter on the PAD download page FS2004, whereas there also is one that is just called DHC6-300. I think we used that latter one. That would explain why the texture remapping might not work...
The elimination of the ICE-ing gauge worked for you, as well as for me (I didn't even know I had that problem, because I only used the Twotter in FSX up 'til now), so why not just use that one? It should be OK, performance wise. I flew her under FSX with my previous rig with a P4 3.2GHz, 1GB, XT400 configuration at more than 15 fps, generally...
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud