Author Topic: Ubuntu more annoying than Windows?  (Read 6839 times)

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Ubuntu more annoying than Windows?
« on: May 25, 2012, 06:31:13 am »
A couple of weeks ago, having bought a new PC (but no Windows yet), I tried to give a try to Ubuntu installation (after some 10 years of not messing up with Linux). The first results were encouraging, but since a few days I discovered that Ubuntu has "borrowed" from Windows a very annoying feature: system updates.

This eventually turned a fully operational system into an unusable wreck. I used that PC mostly for communication = mail and forums. But since 2 days (and very likely due to a system update) I am unable to post in any forums, and to send mail (except for the simplest test mails, which the sustem probably detects as useless so these are actually sent).

I don't expect a replay about how to fix this problem, I realize thare may be ~569 causes for these features to fail, but I am looking for a starting point, for instance a place where someone having the same problems may have complained and hopefully got a solution.Any ideas?

Thanks

Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
Re: Ubuntu more annoying than Windows?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 07:54:34 am »
I tend to use Ubuntu from the command line these days, but my dad is a big Ubuntu desktop user so I may ask him.

What version of ubuntu are you using? Auromatic updates should not be enabled by default and have to be turned on: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/01/turn-on-automatic-update-in-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric-ocelot/

Normal updating should not break stuff though. Maybe something went wrong?

Try opening a terminal and updating

Aptitude update
Aptitude safe-upgrade

And see what the results are.

That said I don't fully understand what is actually broken - networking? DNS? You appear to have some Internet connectivity?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:35:44 am by EHM-1997 Alexander »
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 07:41:47 pm »
Thanks for your reply Alexander.

Fortunately my cousin and (by pure chance) co-worker was more network-savvy than I am, and he pointed me to the MTU problematic (which I now scientifically understand as "little and unknown thingy that's able to cause big mess").

I am still struggling a bit trying to make the MTU setting permanent, for some reason the general procedure recommended on the Internet doesn't apply to my PC :) but the worst has been avoided by now.

Andrei

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 07:54:55 pm »
I am still struggling a bit trying to make the MTU setting permanent, for some reason the general procedure recommended on the Internet doesn't apply to my PC :)

Fixed that too (and this is the post to prove it :) )

Andrei

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:56:01 am »
For those interested, there was an episode #2 to this story.

At some point after starting to use the PC with dual boot (Windows + Ubuntu), networking under Ubuntu began to periodically fail (some 30sec up, then 5 mins down).  Interestingly enough, networking using same hardware under Windows worked without a glitch!

I have been unable to use e-mail for almost a month, until today I could finally fix this - by reinstalling a new driver for the LAN adapter. It remains a huge mystery how did dual boot-ing or Windows trigger this problem in the first place (although this was confirmed by several similar scenarios reported on the web).

Andrei

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 12:49:42 pm »
Oh dear Andrei - that sounds like a real pain!! Well beyond my level of expertise so I can't even offer an educated opinion on this one  :)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management