Author Topic: Stichting Hoogvliegers  (Read 5174 times)

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Stichting Hoogvliegers
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:58:46 pm »
I did a day of volunteers work at Lelystad Airport for the Dutch Foundation Stichting Hoogvliegers.
Stichting Hoogvliegers makes kids (age 6~16) with a chronic or terminal illness, or a mental or physical challenge a "pilot for one day". They get transported in a convoy of trucks, police cars, fire trucks, etc. With a lot of noise ;) to the airport, where there is all sorts of things to do. There's live music, a clown, French fries, grime, a shop, dancing... the list goes on! And the highpoint of the day is, of course a short (30 mins. flight, during which most of them get to operate the controls and the radio for a bit ;) (if safety allows that, of course). For the severely ill or disabled, there is a hospital plane (Gippsland GA-8, I believe)

Here's a link to the official report of the day:
https://www.stichtinghoogvliegers.nl/index.php/6-website/grote-dag/2128-06-april-2013-lelystad
And the news item on the event:
https://www.stichtinghoogvliegers.nl/index.php/20-website/de-media-vertelt/2129-7-april-2013-hart-van-nederland
Sorry, it's all in Dutch, but you'll get the idea ;)

I was in charge of the static line (all the airplanes you see on display in the aerial view). The F-50, DC-3, and the PBY Catalina were open to visitors, and manned by their respective owners, so my job was mainly to welcome people, tell them a little about the planes, warn them not to wander off to "airside", and just generally make them feel at home.
And of course haul all the fences to (in the morning) and from (in the afternoon) the apron, fold out the tables and benches, and fold them back in again. All in all a long day; on my feet from 07:00 'till 19:00, but the smiles on those faces are worth it for sure  :D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:12:18 pm by EHM-2387 Eric-Jan »
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Re: Stichting Hoogvliegers
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 07:37:29 pm »
What a fantastic activity E-J, I'm sure it will be treasured memory for the children and their families :)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 07:44:01 am »
Thanks, Dom!

I have uploaded all my pictures that do not contain any of the kids involved (for privacy reasons, it's a Stichting Hoogvliegers policy - and rightfully so) to a flickr set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eham-spotter/sets/72157633239369288/
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 09:25:04 am »
Very nice pictures E-J and thanks for sharing ;)