Author Topic: E-J's scientific experiment  (Read 4360 times)

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
E-J's scientific experiment
« on: June 04, 2013, 08:12:17 pm »
I took part in a scientific experiment the other day (the day before a week's trip abroad, before my two-week holiday), and that was awesome!  ;D
I posted already about it in an unrelated thread (about the Tropical Traders Event), but I decided to create a new thread for it, just to be able to add to it later.

It was an experiment involving the fullest motion sim you have ever seen:
http://www.desdemona.eu/
There's only 4 of those in the world, and I have been in one  ;D ;D ;D

I still cannot disclose too much about the "contents" of the experiment, because I signed for waiting with that until the results are published (prob. end 2013). But I can tell you this: it was the most realistic feeling I ever had in a simulator!
The excersise itself was not too difficult for a pilot with my experience (practically none - 2 hours dual, and a couple of hundred PC sim hours), but the controls were so responsive, and the accelerations I felt were so realistic, that I soon forgot that I was in a simulated environment. Despite the graphics being relatively poor to "FSX + REX with-all-sliders-to-the-right" standards, it was a pretty immersive experience. Too bad it was only about 1/2 an hour of "flight". With a briefing up front, and a debriefing afterwards, it took the better part of an afternoon, though. It just wasn't enough time to get the eye-hand-foot co-ordination you need to properly fly this plane. Even though it was a similar one to one of my favourites in the EHM fleet...
I still had some time left to wander off to the next door former military airbase Soesterberg (EHSB). The base is closed for a couple of years already, and deconstruction work has taken it's toll on a runway and some taxiways. Weird to be walking on a taxiway, and seeing a bicycle sign painted next to the holding point position markers...
The remainder of the base is being converted into a National Defence Museum (Air, Water, and Land), combining the current three museums. I'll certainly go visit, when it opens :)

Well, as said, this is also a placeholder for when I have more in-depth sharing to do with you guys, so I'll leave it at this for now.
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
Re: E-J's scientific experiment
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:53:52 pm »
Congrats E-j and hope to read more about it ;)

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Re: E-J's scientific experiment
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 12:49:30 pm »
The video explains the capabilities of the sim very well so I can imagine it must have been a really impressive session!

Can't wait to hear more in due course :)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management