Author Topic: FsInn or Squawkbox on Vatsim?  (Read 7760 times)

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
FsInn or Squawkbox on Vatsim?
« on: September 27, 2013, 11:03:34 am »
I have been flying onine with IVAO for some 5 years now. Never really had the urge or need to give Vatsim a try, so I left it at that.

As an MT member, though, I thought it would be prudent for me to not only hold an IVAO account, but also a Vatsim account. If nothing else, then only to be able to speak from experience with Vatsim related issues.
So earlier this week I created myself an account there, and I am now reading up on the way things are done at Vatsim. My first impression is that it is a more stringent network when it comes to adhering to real life procedures.

Anyway; here's my thing:
I need to install a client, and need to decide between the more "difficult", but feature-rich FsInn, and Squawkbox.

Anybody here with a preference?
And, of course: why?
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
Re: FsInn or Squawkbox on Vatsim?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 01:06:09 pm »
I use Squawkbox when flying on VATSIM - I find it easy to use and configure so I can concentrate on other things. I haven't however tried FSInn, mainly because it sounded a bit more complex to install when I was originally setting VATSIM up on my PC, so I can't offer a comparison of the two. As I only fly occasionally online this is purely a personal preference, not based on hours and hours of testing ;)
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
Re: FsInn or Squawkbox on Vatsim?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 01:09:06 pm »
I'd a little experience with VATSIM and as I don't have the best PC performance and with FS9. I start to use the "default" squawkbox and sometimes the weather conditions is not according from the real weather, I mean if it rains you don't see raining, but with the FsInn you see almost all. In other words:

" FsInn is a great set of software that has a lot more functionality than Squawkbox. Not only will you be able to connect to VATSIM and see other traffic, but the FSInn package also comes with some very enhancing features such as push-back, ground proximity warning system (GPWS; the voice that calls out on your final approach), and more that you can play around with. For some people the installation of FsInn is a bit more tricky than that of Squawkbox, but contrarily the program is not very difficult to use after reading a few pages of the manual. (English and French too)

Squawkbox tends to be preferred among those who just want to connect to VATSIM and communicate with ATC, and really nothing more. Upon opening the program you'll probably know what to do. With that said, it doesn't have the additional features like FsInn but is still a well-fit solution for any VATSIM pilot."

Finally, there are a number of people who have problems installing Squawkbox and ask for the support that they find on http://forums.vatsim.net/ and on the http://www.squawkbox.ca/ forum. There are a number of people that have problems with FSInn and find support on VATSIM forum or http://forum.apollo3.com/

For the moment I use FsInn in my FS9 and rarely in FSX and its more reliable than Squawkbox, by the way I'd uninstalled Squawkbox from my laptop. See you next week E-J.  :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:57:12 pm by EHM-2589 David »