Author Topic: Exploring Scotland: online VFR-tour  (Read 30389 times)

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
Exploring Scotland: online VFR-tour
« on: September 26, 2014, 11:50:56 am »
It's high time to get those birds in the air again and do some online flying together like we used to do. So after a chatsession on IVAP with David and Trevor, I promissed to look into a possible tour in Scotland. At first, to prevent having inventing a wheel, I searched the net for an existing one. There are some small tours, but what the hack, let's make a new one.

Exploring Scotland: don't know yet how many legs, but let's get started with a first one: EGPH (Edinburgh) to EGPK (Glasgow Prestwick), in normal conditions and in a hurry a 49nm distance, that can be done in 25 minutes. But we're flying VFR and plan to do some sightseeing. So if you look at the flightplan and the Visual Reference Points we have to follow up, it will take us 1H30 to reach Prestwick. Depending on the weather of course.

To enjoy the landscape at its most, I suggest we fly a single prop plane with an average cruising speed of around 120kts. Our Aeroclub fleet gives us the possibility to choose from the Cirrus SR20, the Piper Cherokee Arrow III and the Cessna172.

I prefer to take the "low wing wonder" Piper Cherokee I purchased from A2ASimulatios some time ago. It's as real as it gets!

I put some information in a zip file that is available via this Dropboxlink: https://www.dropbox.com/s/le9qm6al88vec4l/ScotlandTour2014.rar?dl=0
It contains among others the flightplan with VRP's, a picture of the route, charts and some information about VRF-flying. Be sure to read the readme.txt file first!

To get things organized properly, here's the Doodle-link (Times in Zulu): http://doodle.com/ncpw9gp4vggs2q8g

Anyone who likes to join, please do.

I hope to meet you all next week on Mumble!

Peter

p.s.

Forgot to mention:
sceneries for FSX: http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx/uk.html
sceneries for FS2004: http://www.freewarescenery.com/fs2004/uk.html

I can recommend for FSX: ORBX EU Scotland (payware); UK2000 Edinburgh Extreme
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 12:16:27 pm by EHM-2758 Peter »

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
Re: Exploring Scotland: online VFR-tour
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 02:22:05 pm »
I been away from flying for a long time, but I have an updated computer now compared to before, I hope I can make it to this, it's been too long!

Once you know the schedule I'll see if I can join, but I'm pretty much free whenever, since I'm working from home.

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 03:16:32 pm »
Welcome back Mariano. It certainly must have been a long time ago, because this is the first time your name showed up on the forum (at least as long as I'm a member of EHM). In the last years a stable number of pilots have formed a flying group that flew tours and events together online on IVAO. We surely encourage everyone to join that group; it's much more fun flying together.

Because Euroharmony lost its Company Channel on IVAO, we communicate by means of the so called Mumble software (thanks to Eric-Jan). The chatbox is an option too, but actually speaking to and with eachother is a lot nicer and prevents loss of concentration while flying.

If your interested, than you can get instructions how to obtain and install it via this link: http://www.fly-euroharmony.com/forum/index.php/topic,7244.msg55834.html#new or ask Eric-Jan to help you!

At the latest on next Sunday evening I will report when we will start this first leg.

Meet you on Mumble!

Peter
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:19:50 pm by EHM-2758 Peter »

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 03:52:23 pm »
Roger that. I'm well rusty and my flying skills are those of a turtle now, but I got Mumble working.
Don't even have FSX up and running yet. Soon, hopefully. Any idea what kinda airplane we're gonna be flying? Twotter?

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 06:42:10 pm »
Thanks for this one Peter and I'll be there with the Piper PA28R-200 Arrow II   ;D
Specifications
Fuel Capacity: 72 gal/182 l
Stall Speed: 53 kts (dirty)
Max TAS: 145 kts
Cruise TAS: 137 kts (75% power)
Cruise Range: 880 nm/1630 km (with 45 min reserve)
Service Ceiling: 16,200 ft (100 fpm)/3,353 m
Rate of Climb: 649 fpm

A little question Peter about zulu times, for me 1900 zulu is 2100h, same as Netherlands...?  Amsterdam  CEST Central European Summer Time UTC/GMT +2 hours Difference:  Same time as Zürich, Geneva, Paris...
Thanks  :)

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 08:06:17 pm »
Hi David,

Zulutime means for the Netherlands +2 hours. As far as I can tell Doodle will adjust the time to local when opened. (see picture below). So the schedule starts at 19:00 for me. Zulutime = 19:00 - 2h
Londontime f.i = 18:00 =  Zulutime + 1h

Hi Mariano,

To adjust yourself  to your fysical limitations as a turtle  ;), maybe it's best to make a choice out of these three: Cessna172, Piper Cherokee P28 or the Cirrus R20. Unless you can find and manage a simular single prop plane. While flying we try to stay together as much as possible without trying to fly in close formation.
So get FSX running, install some addons and we will guide you from A to B.

Meet you on Mumble!

Peter

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 02:27:30 pm »
Great initiative, Peter!

Next week, I would only have time on Thursday evening, if I have time then (depends on a couple of other developments in both work and private life). So don't count on me, but if I happen to be around, I'll drop in on you guys :) I downloaded the info package already, just to be sure.
And the same goes for future legs of this private tour. I'll try to catch you all online, someday.

Welcome back Mariano ;D I see on the Mumble server log that you connected OK, so that's one thing down. Now "only" installing FS, haha!  ;D
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 04:36:46 am »
Thanks Peter :D

Seems as if I had tried to get FSX to run on my computer before without much success. I'd forgotten all about it. Well i'll give it another go, and if it doesn't go smoothly, FS9 it is.

I've been away for a while but I'm still a seasoned guy around here :D Hopefully I don't need too much hand holding through the process.

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 03:42:21 pm »
Sofar David, Trevor and I signed up in Doodle for leg01 of the 'Exploring Scotland' tour. Next Wednesday the 1st of October is scheduled at 20:00 h for David and me. That implicates at 19:00 h for Trevor and Mariano, if I'm correct!

I've attached a textfile containing the VRP's. Just copy and paste those in your flightplan.
My PH-PBL is tied down firmly at Edinburgh airport, waiting for you guys next Wednesday!

Meet you on Mumble!

Peter

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 04:10:56 pm »
For me I think is 21h, because I choose 1900 zulu, and Geneva is +2 GMT = 2100 local time or I'm wrong ??? or maybe I'd choose wrongly, instead of 1900 zulu... :-[

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 04:52:09 pm »
Hi David,

If I'm correct you signed up on Wednesday for the same times as I did. Every time It seems to be a problemn or me to get the right worldtime: Zulu, GMT! summertime.? Still very confusing. My tablet with the app shown below, must help to get it right.

So I see you on Mumble at 20:00 h?!

Peter

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 08:35:03 pm »
If you google "the time zulu" it'll tell you what time it is now, we all should use that for the base time and each one should check for conversions.

For me right now it's Zulu + 1, same as British Summer time.

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 08:43:58 pm »
You're right Mariano and for me as Summer time, right now until Sunday 26.10.14 1900 zulu or GMT - UTC is 21h00 local time, and sorry if I'll be late for wednesday, cause family commitments until 1900 Zulu ::)

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 10:37:43 pm »
Gents,
I have added this leg to the time table as a class 1 EHM flight, so you can assign yourselves the flight, and use Flight Logger to auto-PIREP ;)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 03:36:37 pm »
Thanks Eric-Jan, most helpful.

In the mean time Mariano has signed up in Doodle too. Wednesday the first of October at 18:00 h Zulu, I expect you all at the Club Parking area of Edinburgh airport then. Just for the record: we will fly daylight simulated; how else would we find our way along the route. Hopefully the weather will not act as spoilsport. If it's f.i. too foggy, the flight could get cancelled.

Meet you all on Mumble!

Peter

Offline EHM-1829 Trevor

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 04:57:47 pm »

Nice bit of planning there Peter. Looking forward to seeing you and the troops at the Edinburgh flying Club Bar on Wednesday. ;D

Thanks Eric for adding the flight leg to the system. ;)

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 07:53:09 pm »
I have downloaded the sceneries and so on, so I will be flying the leg sometime this week. But not on Wednesday, because I have a board meeting at the flying club I was invited to because of my expertise in safety management systems :)
Meanwhile, we are als re-doing the upper floor of our house (sleeping downstairs for a while...), but I still have access to my FS PC for a couple of weeks, and I intend to use it :D
It will most probably be Thursday evening for me.
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 01:32:58 am »
I dont mind flying it twice if you need company EJ  8)

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 10:31:45 am »
Thanks, Mariano!  ;D
I'm not sure at what time I'll be flying, but it will definitely be in the evening hours. Best chance is between 1700Z (19:00 CET) and 1800Z (20:00 CET). Feel free to join, if you spot me on WebEye or something like that.
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 08:39:18 pm »
Bad news.
Bought a used processor for my motherboard (has to be used, cos it's quite old and they just dont make em anymore). It was supposed to be a nifty upgrade, about twice as fast as the one I had installed.
It only got here yesterday but too late to do anything about it, so I made it today's project to replace the CPU. Mr. Murphy was hitting full force today and everything that could have gone wrong absolutely did.
Long story short, my computer is totally inop, I will continue tomorrow, trying to do CPR and see if I can fix it somehow.

Wish me luck.

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 10:12:42 am »
Bahhh! Bummer!
Look out with the defibrilator; Electrostatic Discharge can ruin your entire M-board (I know from experience).

Best of luck with reviving your machine, M.
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 02:51:25 pm »
Hi Mariano,

I certainly wish you all the luck you need to get your computer running. We surely missed you last evening. It's always nice to see (hear) a new face (voice) on Mumble. What you missed, was a very enjoyable flight with Trevor, David and me, initually guided by Scottish_CTL. Thanks to perfect weather conditions, we made a beautiful tour with inside information about certain landmarks from our Scottish member Trevor. We saw and learned a lot about this part of Scotland. So, after this tour we all can say: "We're all Scots..."  ;)

I placed some screenshots below as usual; a Doodle-link for the next leg (EGPK-EGPU): http://doodle.com/dwipw52x42kau75w
Here's the Dropbox-link, which contains the necessary info-files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pks9fqrdm2nigc2/ScotlandTour201402.rar?dl=0

Meet you all on Mumble!

Peter

B.t.w. Afb07 shows the town of Irvine; if you look closely left of the left wingtip you could see Trevor waving from the window of his house.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:41:24 pm by EHM-2758 Peter »

Offline EHM-1829 Trevor

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 09:03:40 pm »
     It sure was a great evening in the company of Mr McBleekemolen & Mr McSifuentes
     to say the least; looking forward to the next Leg guys. ;D  
     Mariano i hope you manage to get your system up and running by then. ;)

Still envious of your FS scenery Peter, the pics are very good.

Have just noticed that Mr MacOud has just landed at EGPK.
     Congratz E-J ;)

See you all on Mumble
     T
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:10:10 pm by EHM-1829 Trevor »

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 09:13:24 pm »
Yep, just finished scudrunning through valleys, followed by VFR on top, and finally an ILS approach into EGPK. What a challenge for flying an unfamiliar plane (took the C208 out of the barn today).  ;D

Love the scenery out here! gotta get me more  ;D ;D
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 02:19:13 pm »
Is it me, Peter, or is there the same contents [EGPH=EGPK] as for the first leg inside the Dropbox linked RAR file?
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

anything