Author Topic: The Future is Bright........  (Read 6704 times)

Offline EHM-1152 Thomas

• Starting engines
The Future is Bright........
« on: May 08, 2016, 10:44:30 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Having had a few years out of the flight sim world myself, the software world is now really a different place! I have finally made myself the 'super computer' I had always dreamt of.  No more stuttering about at 10FPS!   :) So my first move was to install FSX SE and also (probably in ignorance) all of the add ons that I liked the look of such as Active Sky and ORBX. 

While enjoying ferrying a C172 to X21, the classic Out of Memory crash occurred and some research highlighted the 32bit flaws of the 10 year old simulator in this 64 bit world.  Fiddling with settings etc has made OOM manageable but is there a sad reality that FSX will soon be a thing of the past?  Particularly with Prepar3d v3 and the upcoming Dovetail Games simulator.

No doubt we will always have a strong connection to FSX, having used it for all these years, but I just wondered how everyone else feels about this and also if there have been thoughts on what direction Euroharmony will take with the new simulators?

Thomas

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
Re: The Future is Bright........
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:59:18 pm »
Actually this is something I've been wondering quite a lot lately.

FSX really is something of a bygone age, stuck in technology which does it no good (the 32 bit OOM problems you just mentioned, lack of optimization for newer GPUs and lack of real multi core support).
I was actually surprised to discover Prepar3d, I thought someone finally had made a new flight sim for the new age, but it's nothing more than a spruced up FSX. I fear it suffers from the same limitations, and some people say it's even slower; however to be fair, it does look a little prettier, and the mod community is starting to turn its way.

Not aware of that other sim you mention, but I've caught myself thinking several times "it's about time someone does a civilian sim with the quality of DCS or War Thunder".

If I had to guess, the effort of modeling the whole world, is what's keeping a potential developer from undertaking such a great project. If it doesn't make money, it's hard to do, however nowadays we have platforms to crowd fund these exact kind of projects.

Here's to hoping someone will pick up the torch.

anything