Author Topic: WILD Division PP Event - progress  (Read 38241 times)

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
Re: WILD Division PP Event - progress
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 09:02:53 am »
Just finished flying the second leg now, and I have a few proper screenshots:

Pre-flight, on the apron. The only benefit of offline flying; I don't get into trouble because X-Plane starts me on the active.

Downtown Alburquerque (the obligatory shot of it, yes...)

Would you believe that there is both a state road and a pretty major river that I'm following down there? Just before the Rio Chama turn-off. Thank goodness for Plan-G.

On the ground and secured at Four Corners. I'm on the taxiway parallel to rwy 23, and that's about as good as my default scenery is choosing to be.

Here's a question for our X-Plane expert: I'm happily flying along, at cruise, when all of a sudden a small "tire blown!" pop-up appears on screen. Given I thought I had everything on "no failures", I hit the reset to fix button and it went away. Where did I go wrong?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:54:59 am by EHM-0654 Murray »
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1997 Alexander

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 09:14:33 am »
Probably mean time to failures, unless you got a birdstrike?

The failure system has two layers, individual setting for each system as well as the mean time to failures on the front page.

Set the number insanely high or untick "use mean time between failures random failures" this setting works in addition to each individual setting.

These are in aircraft->Equipment failures

I personally leave this setting ticked with 10,000 hours mean time. I get an occasional then.

You can also remap reset all to operational as a joystick button for insta-repair ;)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 09:18:11 am by EHM-1997 Alexander »
EHM-1997 Alexander Worton
VA Management: Web Developer

PC: i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, SSD, Nvidia GTX 780
Mac: 27" iMac i5, 4GB Ram, ATI HD 5750
IVAO: 353030 VATSIM: 1117910

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 10:21:48 am »
Leg 2 !
E98 to KFMN

As with Leg 1, Trevor suggested we met up at around 1800z in IVAO at the departure airport, so I started my flight planning earlier, took a shower to freshen myself up and got everything set and ready to go when... I get a PM from Trevor saying his virtual self was stuck somewhere else for 24 hours in travel mode :D
So it looked like the leg had to be postponed for Saturday, but along came a wizard called Murray, who teleported Trevor to E98, so at about 1900z we were starting our engines up and ready to go.
This time I took the lead and suggested we took a more scenic route instead of going from VOR to VOR, and off we went from runway 36

As we climbed and turned north-east I realized I was gonna fly over KABQ airspace so had to go around it, while Trevor climbed some miles behind. Skies were calm and open, visibility was good, seemed like a good day for flying.

Onwards, over Albuquerque and around a couple of mountains nearby, we dropped down a little to do some bush flying as we should. The GPWS was going crazy and I was going to turn it off, though I thought I might need it later and I knew I'd forget to turn it back on. The same way I forgot to turn my transponder on up until this point of the flight.  :-X

Continued north flying close to the mountains, through the valleys, indulging in a bit of formation flying cos it's always good fun.

When Trevor reported an engine fire. While troubleshooting his problem he fell back a bit, but after all it turned out to be an unintended press of the I key which turns on the "Smoke system"... in this plane, a huge trail of smoke behind it, which is enough to scare the hell out of any pilot.
Back to normal flying conditions he quickly caught up.

Onwards with our flight it was time to turn west through the mountains, over Abiquiu Reservoir, I decided to go down for a look and because of the weird visibility with the plane's panel, almost a splash.

As you can see there were a considerable amount of clouds ahead, which brought some light drizzle and a bit of turbulence along, so we canceled our visit to El Vado reservoir and headed west directly to the airfield. I veered a little too much to the west (when should have been going west-northwest) because for the life of me I couldn't find the VOR gauge in the panel. Thank goodness for GPS.
Started my descent some 10 miles out, after all wasn't flying that high, but it was a struggle all the way down with the pitch trim and the flaps. It seems that when flaps are deployed and you advance the throttle slightly, the aircraft pitches down violently and this almost made me eat trees a couple of times.
Right over the runway it refused to come down so I bounced over the tarmac like a skipped rock on a lake. It was one scary landing I thought my plane would not walk out of, I guess it has really strong struts.
I need more practice with this one and I'll be sure to get some before the next leg, but in truth I think there's something slightly off with it's flight dynamics somewhere.

Trevor came down after me, waved me hello while I taxied and he landed.

Parked our planes near the petrol pumps  ;D and that was the end of another fun flight. Franz came online at about this time and started his flight... I think he wanted to fly with us but there was a bit of miss communication on the times there...

For leg 3 we should arrange a time and day with some 2 days of notice or so. The more the merrier  :D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:29:56 am by EHM-2155 Mariano »

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 11:01:44 am »
I know I've just finished offline, but having gotten X-IVAP running I'm going to fly the leg again (now-ish, just as a flight, not as a PP leg) so if anyone wants to get into the air close behind, I'll fly slow for a bit.
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2010, 11:23:35 am »
I know it doesn't help with E98 as that default in x-plane 9 has no ramp, but:

Settings -> Operations and Warnings

tick "start each flight on ramp"

Also when selecting the airport you can click on the runway or ramp location of your choice.

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2010, 11:52:13 am »
I normally manually click the RAMP button anyway, but as you say, E98 isn't spectacular in terms of amenities ;)

That's all set now, and I've turned up my rendering settings a chunk as well, so I may redo some of the previous screenshots under the new circumstances (depending how visible Rio Chama is now...)
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-0975 Ragnar

• Ready for take-off
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 12:32:00 pm »
Well, heres my progress report so far (last weekend I couldn't upload any images)...

Pictures:
1 Climbout from KELP in the early morning hours

2 Quite bland scenery over the first mountain ridge

3 I had a plan laid out, only to say 'what the heck', and follow this great navaid (also known as the I25)

4 I told you no passengers would want to ride with me. I circled and tried to land smoothly for about an hour, this is from one of the attempts when I was starting to get seriously bored. I did several really good AP aided approaches (for being me), but every time i got within a few hundred feet from the ground the plane just went up, up and away... Probably because of me playing with the ActiveSky settings for terrain based draft and max up-/downdraft....

I ended up smacking her onto the runway, with a G-force penalty as result - but on the runway and not a crash, which I was happy with at that point.

5 Looks like I'm not flying leg 2 today...  Wonder if it'll get better when the sun rises.

Offline EHM-1829 Trevor

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 12:51:15 pm »
Nice write-up and pic’s from Mariano and Ragnar.

I enjoyed the flight last night,and find it a far better experience with other pilots to talk and fly with.
Saying that, I have to apologise to Franz and David for messing up the start time;  :-[ i blame night shift, overenthusiasim and the wife, as she is not here at the moment to defend herself.  ;)

The one and only downside of having pilots to talk to in-flight is the unintentional key-press, while using the text box;  it gets me into all sorts of bother, and with smoke belching out the starboard engine I thought “here we go again” ;D

Regarding Mariano’s statement on flight dynamics, I have to agree, as 50% of my landings using the DHC-6 reminds me of the 1000m hurdles.

Thanks again Murray for sorting my booking.
Cheers
T
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 02:52:50 pm by EHM-1829 Trevor »

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 01:21:37 pm »
These are from the first leg. I normally run textures on extreeme res, I think I was testing with the converted mega airport heathrow and haven't switched back yet.

Texture res: Very High
Forest density: Tree Hugger
World Distance: high
Number of objects: Mega Tons
number of roads: Totally insane!

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2010, 02:03:19 pm »
Preparation being everything, I tried to match Andrei's visual route for Leg 3 to what I can see in Plan-G, and TBH, I got lost ;). So, with the US state routes showing now I've tweaked my rendering settings I have figured out a VR using roads. Here it is (in words...)

Head West out of Farmington following R-64.
At Shiprock R-64 (East-West) meets R-491 (North-South), head North following R-491.
As you pass KCEZ (Cortez Municipal), continue following R-491 North (ish, it bends a point or two West of North just outside Cortez).
At Monticello R-491 (East-West) meets R-191 (North-South), head North following R-191.
Keep following R-191, it waggles a bit on the way up to Moab, but it passes KCNY where you are heading.

@Alex - thanks for listing your render settings, I'll give them a go and see how it behaves (I have an "older" ATI graphic card...)

@All you FS9/FSX pilots - something you can't see from my at KFMN shot is the pronounced slope to rwy 23 in X-Plane (it looks somewhat like a hill on approach). If you think landing the DHC-6 is tough on a pancake-flat runway, try it on a runway that's coming up to meet you coming down.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 03:27:43 pm by EHM-0654 Murray »
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-2155 Mariano

• Sub-orbital
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2010, 03:33:19 pm »
@Murray, take it on the downslope, then  :P

@Alexander are those X-Plane shots or FSX?

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 03:42:52 pm »
@Murray - I have a 4870x2, but only half is utilised by x-plane (no catalyst)

@Mariano - Those are x-plane 9 shots. The x-plane repaint is slightly different to the MSFS one, as I think Robert updated the design while I was painting it. The x-plane model has a stripe on the engines and arrows on the wings, whereas the MSFS model has the arrows on the engine.

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2010, 04:28:10 pm »
@Murray - I have a 4870x2, but only half is utilised by x-plane (no catalyst)

4850 myself, it's the longest card I could fit into my Shuttle case. Plus I'm water cooled, so even more restriction...
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2010, 07:38:38 pm »
I did several really good AP aided approaches (for being me), but every time i got within a few hundred feet from the ground the plane just went up, up and away... Probably because of me playing with the ActiveSky settings for terrain based draft and max up-/downdraft.
Yes, she can be a handful to land with all that lift. You need to find a nice balance at low speed, descending at about 500 ft/min, while aiming for roughly the start of the runway. Then,close the throttle over the threshold, and try to keep the same altitude. That way you will slow down to near stall speed, and you wil inevitably start sinking to the runway.
In the picture, you are definitely high on your approach. You may be able to touch down in the end field, but I wouldn't bet on it!

The one and only downside of having pilots to talk to in-flight is the unintentional key-press, while using the text box;  it gets me into all sorts of bother, and with smoke belching out the starboard engine I thought “here we go again” ;D

Maybe next time we could use the chatroom of EHM, or open up a TeamSpeak channel.

About next time: I will be back home on thursday, with a couple of social calls to make that day, so I expect my leg 3 to be on Friday evening, around 1900(Z)-ish.

Here's some of my leg 2:

Take off rwy36

The canyonland area is famous for it's reddish rock. We're getting closer!

Had to swerve around some clouds to remain VMC

A little aligning and colour correction to do in order to finish the Aerosoft paint. Also the blue/gold rear fuselage section will get a complete re-do.

On finals rwy23 KFMN. I had to go around, because I came in too slow, overcompensated with throttle, and yawed off to the right because of that. This one ended up all right, though :)

See y'all up there!
E-J
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2010, 08:58:31 pm »
I'm with E-J on this on, get yourself set up nice and early, flaps all the way down and an airspeed c. 90kts, then as you cross the threshold, throttle to idle with a little bit of flare and you'll touch down nice and smooth as the airspeed scrubs off ;)
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1442 Luis

• FL100
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2010, 12:45:48 am »
Hi

Nice leg, chating all the way with Trevor, until fsx crash but i was on the new Flight Logger and it worked very well, recorded and resume the all flight without problems....congratulations for this nice piece of software.

The old Flight Logger didn't reconize the locked flight.

@ Murray
I upgraded last week to Windows 7 64 bits
CPU - Q9550 @ 2.83GHZ
RAM  - 4 GB
Video card - Nvidia 8800GTS
FSX + Acceleration with config slides almost all to rhe right side
Scenary - Default

Leg 02 - Photo Report

On E98 on the preflight job

Following Rio Grande, Albuquerque on the right side

Near Santa Fé

Abiquiu Lake

From Abiquiu to El Valdo

El Valdo Lake

San Juan River - After FSX Crash

On Final

Some rain spray at KFMN park .... Special effect to Trevor....... ;D

Cheers

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2010, 12:31:50 pm »
Very nice pics there Luis, real-world weather methinks (it wasn't too much nicer for me when I few that leg earlier, and when I re-flew it to test X-IVAP it was worse...)

(BTW, check your PM's ;))
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1829 Trevor

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2010, 02:36:53 pm »

Nice pic’s Luis, and yes the default scenery has improved a lot.
   It was great to see Flight Logger 4 doing its job, after your FSX crash. Congratz to the MT ;)
   Cheers
   T

Offline EHM-1442 Luis

• FL100
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2010, 11:03:42 am »
Hi

Leg 3 - Flight with Trevor

A lot of crashes - Energy power crash(Heavy ThunderStorm here) - fsx crash - ivap crash - Logger crash - etc - but i finished the leg, the Flv4 didn't record the final part( crashes everywhere) and i repeted it DCT this morning.

Leaving KFMN

Trevor Taxiing @KFMN and a close-up from the great texture work from Eric-Jan

Ship Rock

Lake Powell and Colorado River

Cheers

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2010, 11:30:37 am »
A lot of crashes - Energy power crash(Heavy ThunderStorm here)

You may want to consider purchasing a UPS. That will protect you from surge and brown outs, as well as black outs for X minutes until the power comes back.

Offline EHM-1442 Luis

• FL100
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2010, 04:13:27 pm »
You are right Alexander. I have a UPS but as i upgraded the system and monitor, this UPS is out of range.

There 'll be my next purchase. a new and stronger unit.

Cheers

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2010, 07:43:37 pm »
Trevor Taxiing @KFMN and a close-up from the great texture work from Eric-Jan

Thanks mate!
By now, I have moved the "Wolverine" from the door forward where it is supposed to be, and I re-did the whole gold-and-blue fan-out bit on the rear section of the fuselage.

I think it's pretty much done now, so I'll need someone else to test if the paint also works under FS9. Any volunteers with the Aerosoft Twotter for FS9 ??...
Please leave a PM, and I'll get back to you.

Luis, check you PM too ;)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2010, 07:46:11 pm »
Just completed the 4th leg with X-Plane. The overall VFR experience is fine, IMHO roads / railroads arent's that great but the terrain looks better (than FSX, assuming default scenery in both cases). Especially the "far away" terrain looks more realistic.

I also prudly report my first really good landing with X-Plane (is it me or it's really slightly more difficult than with MSFS?), but then I got a surprise.

Provo airport apparently has a large apron BUT you can't tell it from an orchard. Concrete-paved but with trees everywhere! I have a shade of a doubt that the airport really looks this way :) However it is weird, no tree was on an obviously wrong spot (on the taxi yellow line, for instance), it really looks like it's done on purpose to leave SOME space for the taxiing / parked aircraft.

So be careful, I don't know - yet - how large the "virtual tree" is in X-Plane. Personally I took no chance and stopped on the taxiway.

Andrei
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2010, 08:48:45 pm »
Objects have no hard surfaces Andrei, feel free to drive past them without fear of crashing ;)

I have seen images of overgrown airfields ;) Lthough never seen it in sim myself.

the fix:
If you have that problem in x-plane again make a new scenery package in overlay editor. Go to the airport where you had the problem and put an exclusion zone around the airport of trees.

Offline EHM-1465 Dominic

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2010, 12:10:47 am »
Any volunteers with the Aerosoft Twotter for FS9 ??...

I thought the Aerosoft Twotter was FSX only  ??? Otherwise I'd have bought it by now  :D
Dom Mahon // EHM-1465
VA Management