Author Topic: The most stupid thing to do during an EHM event  (Read 50914 times)

Offline EHM-0502 Desmond

• FL100
The most stupid thing to do during an EHM event
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2008, 05:37:24 pm »
I can't send the acars as the flightlogger reset and started a new log automatically - how that happened I don't know.

I got the following message after the crash:

Dear pilot Desmond Klein,

Our ProPilot system received a crash information from your Flight Simulator.
We also received information that your airplane was bellow the minimum IAS speed to be considered as a crash.
Your airplane was at and the minimum IAS to be considered as a crash is 51
So, this incident will not be considered as a crash although you have to repeat your flight.

Kindly Regards,
Robert Szikszo,
EHM Fleet Manager

The above message is why I think my plane should be re-enabled. If I had not received a message I would have accepted the fact that something happened beyond anyone's control, and that I had crashed.

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2008, 05:05:42 pm »
Hi Desmond !

Enjoy your new airplane, which is now standing at Monrovia apron ! ;) Hopefully you still have time to finish this leg.

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-0502 Desmond

• FL100
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2008, 12:25:12 pm »
Thanks, but managed to get a building crash while taxiing after landing, so it looks like thsi is the end of my tour. Enjoyed it while it lasted.

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2008, 08:27:35 pm »
I quit. No more ILS. All landings manual from now and on. For some reason, the ILS feature in my plane is not working since Lisbon. At Monrovia I had time to correct. At Rio I had to go around. At Montevideo I had also time to go aroung but I did not do it. Stupid thing to do and I got 900 pts penalty. This plane has no mercy with idiots like me.

As my flying instructor used to say: "The plane can fly but cannot think. The man can think but cannot fly. Now if a plane that can fly but cannot think is flown by a man who cannot fly and cannot think either, guess what..." 900 pts.

Ready to go to Buenos Aires after I calm down!

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

EHM-1944 Jaap

« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2008, 08:49:04 pm »
After a nice flight we landed safely in Santiago and unloaded pax,luggage and cargo,everyone happy and satisfied.
A bit sad we have to leave the plane here and go back to "normal" business.
Hector,as reported before I had the same experience.I doubt if it has something to do with the ILS, I suspected the hand-operated spoilers being used  too early.(my mistake)
Anyway it is a sensitive lady this DC8.

Offline EHM-2097 Andrei

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2008, 09:26:03 pm »
Just landed in Santiago too (as the last luggage from Jaap's plane were removed away). I found the last leg a little disturbing because in the previous flights I used to start descent far from the destination, which was not possible here because of the Andes.

Maybe I contributed to this because I used a slightly "customized" route: I was a little bored of the INS so I flew this leg VOR-to-VOR. Just a different kind of fun...

The only setback was that further analysis of the flight showed zero passengers (I suspect Jaap grabbed them all as he was the first to arrive in Santiago), but this is a problem for the travel agency after all!

I share Jaap's fear of the spoilers, after seeing these in action. In one of the first legs, I thought to myself "ok, the spoilers are not to use in flight, but just before touchdown, to reduce a little speed, they can't do harm..." YES, THEY DO! Once the spoilers were deployed, the plane fell on the runway like a stone, no matter how much I tried to flare.

You know the rest: max g, penalty, etc etc. In fact I was so ashamed that I flew the leg again to escape the penalty. And I promised myself never to try such "fine tuning maneuvers" again with the DC8.
Andrei Vatasescu // EHM-2097

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2008, 11:20:24 pm »
Guys, I will try to work on the repositioning at the weekend or early next week as I am sure we can work your route out to take these ladies back home again.... For now, let them have a little rest here in Chile! ;)
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2008, 12:10:42 am »
Phil, would you please look at my comments back in this thread? It may give you some ideas. I would not like to stay too long in Santiago for here there are earthquakes every day. The INS could become damaged because the vibration;D

Good pilots keep their number of landings equal to their number of takeoffs. Takeoffs are optional but landings are Mandatory.

Offline EHM-1703 Philip

• Intergalactic!!
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2008, 03:48:37 pm »
Unfortunately I am on call out at work this week and am working 12 hour days so I will have little time to look at this, but I will try and sort something out when I can.
Phil Nutt EHM 1703

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2008, 06:58:11 pm »
I think it would be a shame to crash them accidentally on the back-route, so maybe fewer legs would be better ;)

What would you say to a more simple choice: EHM-6939 to Atlanta and EHM-7811 or EHM-7827 to Stockholm ? ;)

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2008, 12:15:22 am »
While on my way to Santiago, we were hit by a nationwide power failure so I had to place everything on pause since the laptop would not last long enough to get SCEL.
Almost 3 hours later electricity was restored but since I don't know what the implications on either PP or FLogger, besides I was not in the mood, I decided to call the flight off. Will try later tonite or tomorrow.
Robert, I am not sure whether the DC-83 can go that far (4290 NM and 150000 lbs fuel).
What about SCEL-TNCC then TNCC-CYQX and finally CYQX-ESSA?

Offline EHM-1657 Jay

• Super cruise
    • http://www.ewr0688.com
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2008, 09:52:22 pm »
Finally arrived, got myself 2230 penalty points on the last flight because for some reason in mid flight at cruise... she started stalling, never seen anything like it, out of nowhere, nose up and drop like a brick, from 331FL to 050FL in a matter of seconds, I caught it in the end but I am not sure what actually caused it to begin with :( Oh well, least I made it !
[img]

Offline EHM-1749 Hector

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2008, 10:50:18 pm »
Just arrived at Santiago. Faced strong shifting winds (95 kts). Had to continuously managed the throttle to avoid either overspeeding and/or stalling.
This may have happened to you Jay. For example when cruising at 295 KIAS the wind shifted from head to crossed and I watched the speed fall to nearly 260 before applying throttle to almost full. This continued almost the entire cruising leg.

Offline EHM-1657 Jay

• Super cruise
    • http://www.ewr0688.com
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2008, 09:32:42 am »
Could have been, I am just glad I made it, I would have been dirty if I would have crashed her on the last leg !
[img]