Author Topic: AN-148 Range  (Read 3991 times)

Offline EHM-2131 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
AN-148 Range
« on: March 03, 2012, 02:18:36 pm »
HI. having used the AN-148 for a few days on Long flights l have come to the conclusion that the range stated in the Aircraft data is wrong, it states that the range is 1900-2200nm, yesterday i did a flight of 1600nm and was left with 2% fuel from  full tanks, this was on line with tailwinds all the way, so it looks likly that as l travel West bound i will not be able to make a nonstop flight, so my thinking is to make a refuel stop, how would Flogger cope with this, or is it not possible to do. at the moment l have altered some parameters on the CFG file, to give a better fuel flow , after 3hrs there is a slight decrease in fuel flow, this maybe enough to get upto about 1800nm at the present  flow rate. Thanks for your thoughts, Bruce T EHM-2131

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
Re: AN-148 Range
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 04:02:33 pm »
You are right, Bruce. Fuel consumption seems to be higher than factory standard for our An-148s. Maybe it's because they have had quite a severe winter yourney across Siberia already ;)
Seriously now: I do want to get into this a little deeper after the St. Patrick's Day Fly-In. maybe create an updated installer with modified aircraft.cfg as you are already experimenting with. On the other hand: fuel consumption is very high on climbing, reasonably high during cruise, and astonishingly low during descend. Or at least that's my experience during the Trans Siberia Event. Also, I noticed then that my descend planning was always off by a good margin. So what I want to do first is to fly a semi-long-haul "on the numbers" (any deviation from optimal performance numbers will cost extra fuel), and with a prolonged descend phase. That will save the difference in fuel usage between cruise and descend for the prolonged time, and will make that I do not have to use the speed brakes during descend to actually make it down to the runway without orbiting or descending in a holding pattern.

As far as Flight Logger is concerned, there is no problem if you stop half way for refuelling. In fact you can even shut down your engines, save the flight, come back the next day, load the flight, and take off again after refuelling. The "on groud" state "knows" if that is at your destination or not, and only after shutting down your engines at your destination will you be able to PIREP the flight. You could fly an entire world tour between DEP and ARR, as far as Flight Logger is concerned. It will still be recorded as a (multi-leg) single flight.
You can even view your flight critique per leg, or as an overall performance ( pushbutton "Record Flight", Tab "Propilot").
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-2131 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
Re: AN-148 Range
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:41:29 pm »
HI E-J, thanks for that, look forward to the results, ok on Flogger and Refuel stops ,must have missed that information, My test flight today gave a climb flow of 7040lb/hr, 1hr cruise 19204lb/hr. 2 hr 1976lb/hr 3hr at 19761lb/hr 4hr 2014lb/hr. l would have thought that as the plane got lighter the flow would go down a bit more, will keep a note on my next flight, as it will be a westely  one , thanks again. Regards Bruce EHM-2131

anything