Author Topic: Widows 8  (Read 4475 times)

Offline EHM-2131 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
Widows 8
« on: October 29, 2013, 12:59:12 pm »
Hello all, I am thinking of changing my 9 year old computer ( top specs when l bought it), as all new computers now have windows 8 installed, l was wondering if any member is using  this operating platform, and are there any issues with FS9 and  FSX. L still think XP was the best, but Microsoft will stop supporting it from next April, any comments would be welcome, Regards Bruce EHM-2131

Offline EHM-0948 Bruno

• Intergalactic!!
Re: Widows 8
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 12:07:36 am »
Hi Bruce,

From my personal experience I would strongly suggest you to buy a new computer with a very good graphics board (like nVidia GT 7xx series at least) and minimum of 16Gb of RAM.

From my experience with the operating system I strongly recommend that you re-format the computer to install windows 7. Pay special attention if you have a BIOS UEFI because it can give you some headaches to install Windows 7.

I bought a Acer Aspire V3-772G 3 weeks ago with a nVidia GT 750M (it's okay for FSX, specially with the FSDT xTreme PC tweak app!) and it runs my B738 from PMDG above 20 fps (I've locked it at 20fps).

Windows 8.x crashes FSX a lot. XP is good, but Windows 7 comes from the NT kernel old-time series so it's the best that you can have (imho).

Cheers,
BF

Offline EHM-1358 Tim

• Intergalactic!!
Re: Widows 8
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 11:13:11 pm »
Hi Bruce,

I've no experience with Windows 8, but I really like Windows 7 and have no problems with FSX.

anything