Author Topic: New PP Event Summer 2015 - Discussion thread  (Read 11288 times)

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
New PP Event Summer 2015 - Discussion thread
« on: May 03, 2015, 09:09:01 pm »
As it is not possible to respond to an announcement thread, this one gives the opportunity to discuss all about the upcoming PP Event.
Starting off by guessing (or wishing?) where it will take us all... ;)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
Re: New PP Event Summer 2015 - Discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 10:12:46 am »

As you can see, obviously I'm still in the mood of the almost finished gastronomical tour throughout France. Though you can order this fish in almost every French restaurant, it's certainly not caught in French waters.

By flying our next ProPilot event however we might meet hundreds of enthousiastic angler who travel to this region just to catch one or two of these big ones. A true lust for the fanatic fly fisher.

Not that difficult, is it? A piece of cake ... or is it fish!

Peter
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:06:57 pm by EHM-2758 Peter »

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 09:53:21 am »
We are not going back to Schotland, are we?
As much fun as that has been, it's only half a year ago, or so...

Or is it the pepper I should be focussing on?  ;D
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2131 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 11:22:31 am »
Easy if you read the clue correctly, and think it through, will let someone else have a go,  Regards Bruce EHM-2131

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 06:19:20 pm »
Your "spicy" remark, Eric-Jan, reminded me of a recipe I inhereted from my grandfather, who was,  though a long time ago, a wellknown cook in Rotterdam. It's very simple and I'd like to share it with all of you.

Dutch Fisherman's Crab

- 3 to 4 pounds of crab legs and claws
- 1 stick butter
- lemon wedges for garnish
- white pepper

1. Melt the butter in a small pan and keep warm on its lowest setting;
2. Set a steamer inside a large pot and pour enough water inside to steam the crab. Bring this to a boil before laying the crab legs on the steamer. Cover the pot and steam for 5 minutes;
3. Remove the crab legs and use kitchen shears to cut the shells. Serve with melted butter and lots of pepper?

Enjoy your meal,

Peter

btw. Better to buy the crab than to catch it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 06:29:32 pm by EHM-2758 Peter »

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 11:01:13 am »
If I gave you the idea that I was starting a cookery book, you're absolutely wrong. I did try to give you a recipe (read: clue) how to find the the region we're going to fly our next ProPilot Event. Probably you're so stuffed with salmon and crab that it's becoming very hard to read between the lines.

I'll make it easier on you. In my next clue I'll stick to aviation. Still, if I were you i'll try the crab anyway. Here's the next one:

If I had the cash, I'd have an order in for a brand new Viking 400, the back-in-production Twin Otter derivative. But, with money kinda tight these days, maybe what I really need is a Quest Kodiak, especially since now you can fetch one with some snazzy new Wipline 7000 floats. For less than half the green of the Viking 400, I could be hopping from the lake to the airport, and then back to lake again with plenty of room for my fishing gear. And truthfully, I've got less than 9 friends anyway, I'd have a heck of a time filling all 18 seats in the Twin Otter. Oh wait, If I had a Kodiak OR a Twin Otter, I'd probably have a lot more friends!

Well anyway, the point is that you can now add floats, with or without wheels, to the already hard-working Kodiak. It's the completion of the original concept for the Kodiak... to make a modern STOL aircraft that's comparatively economical and offer maximum versatility. An airplane like this would certainly make much of the world readily accessible. And I'm thinking you could have some pretty serious fun getting there too, wherever there is.

Back in April 2010, Quest also received FAA approval for an increase in the max take-off weight on the Kodiak to 7,255 pounds.  That's a 505 pound increase. I'm thinking that's a pretty big deal, and could make a noticeable difference on a day when you've got an extra 2 people, and their stuff, that really need hauled out of the jungle.

The bottom line for me is that I'm really glad both the Kodiak and the updated Twin Otter are in production and available to work their tails off for operators who need real, hardcore utility aircraft!

Happy hunting!

Peter

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:05:01 am by EHM-2758 Peter »

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 10:11:24 am »
The subscription to our new ProPilot Summer Event wil start in a few days from now. That means that I'm owing you some explanation of the clues I gave you in the last weeks.

It's obvious that the region is well known for it's fishing grounds. The first two images showed two proud fishermen who caught some big King Salmons, also referred to as Chinook Salmon, a fish native to the North Pacific Ocean and the rivers of Western North America, ranging from California to Alaska.

The Dutch Fisherman's Crab -recipe referred to the King Crabs, also called Stone Crabs or Red King Crab. You must have watched some of the documentaries on Discoverey Channel under the title: Deadliest Catch, to know how big they grow.

My grandfather being a cook in Rotterdam, was a load of nonsense. Still in this case it referred to Dutch Harbor. the official name of the City of Unalaska's port.

The Quest Kodiak directed to Kodiak Island in the state of Alaska and the Kodiak bear, also known as the Kodiak brown bear or the Alaskan grizzly bear, occupies the islands of the Kodiak Archipelago in South-Western Alaska.

And to proof that salmons do fly:

Hope you enjoy the event: Alaska: The Last Frontier

Happy flight!

Peter
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 02:42:18 pm by EHM-2758 Peter »

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 08:29:44 am »
Thanks for this PP tour Peter, E-J., etc. I've a little question about legs 34   DHC-6 Twin Otter   PAVD Valdez   HRR Healy River   18   298lbs   181nm       and   
35   DHC-6 Twin Otter   HRR Healy River   PAGA Pitka   17   295lbs   214nm   
HRR is PAHV? because HRR on the route map shows one heliport from Colombia? Thanks :)

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 10:19:36 am »
Hi David,

You're right: HRR is the FAA Identifier for PAHV: FAA Identifier:    
HRR
Lat/Long:    63-52-03.3000N / 148-58-07.8000W
63-52.055000N / 148-58.130000W
63.8675833 / -148.9688333

FSX only recognizes HRR. I don't know about FS9.

Peter

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 02:29:54 pm »
For those who like to prepare themselves for this Alaska event:

Charts can be found via the search option on the next website: http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/dtpp/search/

Information about flying in Alaska on this site: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2737045

Meet you all on Mumble!

Peter

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 09:47:22 pm »
There are three three-letter "ICAO" codes in the list. If my analysis tool works correct, they should all exist in both FS9 and FSX under those Three-letter codes. Alexander made the three-letter-to-four-letter code translation for FL for X-plane users, so if you start up your sim before firing up FL, all airport codes should be recognised correctly.
(but that'll always the exiting question, "will it actually work?", isn't it?  ;D)

[EDIT]
Actually, there are four three-letter codes in the leg list. But KEK is the correct code in all Sims, FS9, FSX, and X-Plane ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 08:04:22 pm by EHM-2387 Eric-Jan »
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud