Author Topic: Unable to start FS9  (Read 12708 times)

Offline EHM-2131 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
Unable to start FS9
« on: September 19, 2015, 08:25:08 pm »
Hello All, need a bit of advice, Just came back from a few days way now i cannot start FS9 was working ok , have reinstalled a fresh copy of FS9  but that will not run also have tried most of the usual things but to no avail. nothing has been downloaded for a long time so cannot get my head round why it should stop working in the first place it is showing in my programme   files  but clicking on the file will not works nether will the short cut on the desktop any help appreciated Best Regards Bruce EHM2131

Using Windows 7    and update 1 

Running it as administrator

Offline EHM-1392 Justin

• Starting engines
Re: Unable to start FS9
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 12:00:06 pm »
Haven't used FS9 in a long time, but first thing I check when .exe don't open anymore is scan for viruses hijacking .exes. Probably you've gone over this solution as well. Also try cleaning up the .cfg or replacing it with a vanilla one.

My experience is that it won't be any new aircraft or scenery though, as problems with them would show up later as it's starting up.

MSFS is so unstable at times, it's so frustrating. But there's a lot of community help available on the usual websites that might give other hints.

Sorry not to be able to give you anything concrete, but do try your virus scanner. Good luck!

Offline EHM-1838 Andrew

• Martian transfer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 05:06:43 pm »
Hello
There are lots posts on this subject at Avsim
Its to do with a file that's Downoaded and installed automatically by windows update
I can't remember the file number of hand but I can find it for you if you want.
I suggest you make  sure that you change your windows update settings from 'download and Install automatically' to download but let you decide which files to install.
This way you can check what exactly windows update is trying to install and whether it may affect your sim.
As I say there were lot posts on this topic at avsim (I no longer visit there)
But also Fscom had posts on this too.
The good news is that once that file has been located it can be removed and your sim will start normally again.
Anyways i may not have been very clear in my reply, but someone with more knowledge than myself may chip in.

Andy

Offline EHM-1838 Andrew

• Martian transfer
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 05:14:49 pm »
Hello again.
Please go to FlightSim.com
Go to the FlightSim 2004 Forum.
Read the topic "Sim won't load"
That will tell you all you need to know on the subject .
And importantly a solution to your problem.

Cheers Andy

Offline EHM-2131 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 10:25:34 pm »
Hello Andrew, Thanks for the info l have found the file it is KB3086255 down loaded on the 14 Sept has anyone using FS9 had a problem with this, not being computer literate l am a bit unsure about removing files as there appears to be a security issue if it is removed, thanks for the tip on the download, Regards Bruce EHM-2131

Offline EHM-1838 Andrew

• Martian transfer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 03:48:06 pm »
Hello Andrew, Thanks for the info l have found the file it is KB3086255 down loaded on the 14 Sept has anyone using FS9 had a problem with this, not being computer literate l am a bit unsure about removing files as there appears to be a security issue if it is removed, thanks for the tip on the download, Regards Bruce EHM-2131

Hello Bruce
Did you read the thread I mentioned at FScom.
This will go a long way to explaining the whole issue of KB3086255 ,whether your  running the sim with disc 4 in place , or running the sim without the need for disc 4 (crack file which some seem to think is not   the morally correct thing to do)
If you check that particular post it should help you in deciding what you want to do.

Andy

Offline EHM-1838 Andrew

• Martian transfer
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 03:58:05 pm »
Hello Again Bruce!
If you go to FSCom and check out the post "Sim won't load" as I mentioned before.
Pay particular attention to the posts by  by Longbreak 754.
This guy knows his stuff.

Andy

Offline EHM-2131 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 07:36:54 pm »
Hello Andrew, have finally  got FS 9 working again by removing KB3086255 the sim would not run first time so uninstalled the sim from my computer and did a new install and it WORKED  so i will have to start downloading  aircraft again but i made a back up so should not be much of a problem,

Thank you for all you help in directing me to the information, was a  bit unsure if l would get it right have also changed the MSU update so i can check if it tries to download it again, according to the profile of the Longbreak754 he is not far from me,  could even be a member of the local FS club l sometimes go to
Anyway thanks again very much appreciate all the work the MT do Very Best Regards Bruce EHM-2131

Offline EHM-1838 Andrew

• Martian transfer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 05:59:37 pm »
Hello Andrew, have finally  got FS 9 working again by removing KB3086255 the sim would not run first time so uninstalled the sim from my computer and did a new install and it WORKED  so i will have to start downloading  aircraft again but i made a back up so should not be much of a problem,

Thank you for all you help in directing me to the information, was a  bit unsure if l would get it right have also changed the MSU update so i can check if it tries to download it again, according to the profile of the Longbreak754 he is not far from me,  could even be a member of the local FS club l sometimes go to
Anyway thanks again very much appreciate all the work the MT do Very Best Regards Bruce EHM-2131

Hello
Glad you are airborne again.
Surprised you had rein Fs9.
If you have a backed up copy of FS9 then what you could have done is installed FS9 anew (as you did) and then simply copied  your backup over the new installation .That way you would not have re download all your aircraft and other addons as you now have to.
On the other hand at least your simming  again and that's the main thing.
Do you use the CD 4 for running your sim ,or the other no CD option (which by the way is no available widely and even obtainable at some FlightSim sites these days)
I have used the latter for years now.

Andy

PS
If you use WU and see that offending file again there is an option to 'Hide it' and that way you won't be troubled by it again.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:04:14 pm by EHM-1838 Andrew »

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 06:27:10 pm »
Well done guys!
A valuable learning experience for all of us here ;)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

Offline EHM-2131 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 09:50:35 pm »
Hello Andrew and E-J thanks for the help yes  i still use the Disk 4  yes i noticed the the file was still in the list so have unchecked it will look for the hide function have set for downloads to not do automatic but let me chose which one to do, did not know all this was in   MSU just thought it was an automatic thingy something else l have learnt from this episode , I must learn to back things up!!!!! Thanks again for the help Best Regards Bruce EHM-2131

anything