Author Topic: Cowl-flaps  (Read 4999 times)

Offline EHM-1953 Daniel

• FL100
Cowl-flaps
« on: August 23, 2007, 04:52:04 pm »
hi guys, in advance of the orientexpress event i'd like to know what the Cowl flaps do, and when to use them..

i've seen them in many propeller aircrafts, but i really don't know when or how to use them..

thanx in advance :D

regards,
Daniel Sahlin EHM-1953 ESSA

Offline EHM-0654 Murray

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic!!
  • VA Management
    • The Ponderings of PMUK
Cowl-flaps
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 05:07:27 pm »
Daniel,

I think I'm right in saying they're used as a cooling mechanism on piston engined aircraft... you open then prior to engine start (unless it's real cold OAT) and close them during the climb to stop the engine getting too cold (or vice versa ;))

I'll have a dig around in my many SEP checklists once I get home and give your a reasonable "definitive" usage.

EDIT: Wikipedia ftw!

Cowl

If the aircraft is equipped with adjustable Cowl Flaps:

* Cowl Flap Position Control - Cowl Flaps are opened during high power/low airspeed operations like takeoff to maximize the volume of cooling airflow over the engine's cooling fins.
Murray Crane // EHM-0654 // Twitter
VA Management

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Offline EHM-1001 Robert

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
Cowl-flaps
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 12:18:18 pm »
Shortly, but correctly ;D

http://www.maam.org/airshow/images/r4d_exterior_6.jpg

These small flaps makes a bypass around the engine. On the ground (low speed) the flaps are open and let the air cool and flow around the engine, while in the air (high speed) the flaps are closed because the cool air that hits the engine face is just enough for cooling.

There is a sequence for open/close these flaps, because opening these flaps makes a bit more grip so you can use those for slow down on approach as well. And because of that, it is also important to close them immediately after takeoff.

AMD X4-955 3.2GHz / Gigabyte 770T / 4 GB DDR / Gigabyte GTS450 1GB DDR
Samsung 226BW@1680x1050 / WinXP.3 / FS9.1 / FSX.1 / Saitek Cyborg 3DGold

Offline EHM-1953 Daniel

• FL100
Cowl-flaps
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 12:55:42 pm »
ah okey, thanx alot guys :D makes sense ;D
Daniel Sahlin EHM-1953 ESSA