Author Topic: Tropical Traders Event; the whole story in pictures  (Read 64788 times)

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
Re: Tropical Traders Event; the whole story in pictures
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2013, 10:18:23 pm »
As Website problem I think E-J. you're in (EHM-2387 Eric-jan Oud   WASR) ::) http://www.fly-euroharmony.com/site/index.php/events/details/4

Offline EHM-2131 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2013, 03:42:44 pm »
HI all.As all the data for the last weekend been lost??, l flew WASK-WAJW on Friday evening, everything logged ok and sent to the server, l also put down for deadheading to LBPD. l have come on this afternoon and despatch still show me at WASK with the WASK-WAJW flight still to fly, do l have to fly this again, l did not save the flight as it was accepted  as ok Regards Bruce EHM-2131

Offline EHM-2387 Eric-Jan

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2013, 04:14:37 pm »
This announcement:
http://www.fly-euroharmony.com/forum/index.php/topic,7321.msg55076.html#new
says there have been some website/forum issues. That has made it necessary to restore a backup.
As per Dominic's reply to this one:
http://www.fly-euroharmony.com/forum/index.php/topic,7322.msg55083.html#new
I'll re-send my saved PIREP (it did not want to file right away, so I saved it  ::)) and be back at WASK again after that.

Bruce, you can try the same: locate your WASK-WAJW flight in FL4 (File - Open - *.ehm, with a name that consists of the date, time, and your EHM ID of the particular flight; somewhere in My Documents/Flightlogger4/temp), and re-file.

As this is a PP event, there are no other options than to re-file the PIREP, or re-fly the leg, so I hope the re-filing part works for you...
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud
VA Management: Operations Officer

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2013, 08:15:02 pm »
I could not get FL to re-submit, and manual PIREP is not possible for PP, so I'm about to re-fly the leg.
Lucky for me, it's the shortest leg around. I'm afraid Bruce will have to re-do the longest one ...  >:(
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2131 Bruce

• Geostationary orbit
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2013, 10:06:18 am »
HI E_J , Yes tried to do as you said but like you could not get it to send, good job l like flying the DC3 ;D so it was not too much of a problem, will start and save all my flights from now on just in case, when is the best time to save it...  before sending or after sending the  PIREP, Regards Bruce EHM-2131
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:07:50 am by EHM-2131 Bruce »

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2013, 11:06:21 am »
I only save if submitting does not work, before closing FL, of course.
But even if you close FL, the ehm file will be in the folder I indicated. So (unless something went very, very wrong with FL) it's always possible to open the flight again later. It then only requires that you know when the flight was started, because that's the file name format.
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2013, 05:09:04 pm »
My sugestion for tonight 2000 zulu: WASK NBR (117.300) TMK (112.700) WAJW FL175

See you then guys :)

Offline EHM-1882 Gian

• Super cruise
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2013, 05:20:23 am »
To the traders,

Sorry folks for my sudden quit yesterday night after landing. I can't explain why my plane suddenly re accelerated and crashed  >:(. I was so upset that I spent my PC straight away without even saying goodbye! I am currently (05.00 Z) flying the leg again. Hope to see you for next one!

Gian
EHM-188en

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2013, 07:05:48 am »
To my shame I must admit that I fell asleep at around 2030LT (1930Z), after dinner.  ::)
When I woke up, you guys were already over half-way there (I saw you on Web-Eye). So I just went to bed, and will try again this evening, or over the weekend.
I've been working overtime for the last week-and-a-half, and will continue to do so at least until April 1st (might stretch to mid-April, if needed). And I am now faced with the fact that I am not 20 years old any more  ;D.

So to prevent disappointment, I will not promise to fly with you guys in the next weeks, I'll just show up whenever it's "convenient" for me. Of course, I'll aim for the "Doodle date", since it is far more fun to fly together, but just no more promises ;)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2013, 09:31:23 am »
Gian, David, Trevor and I finished leg11 of the Tropic Traders Tour from WASK to WAJW. Startup and departure in the dark (Realtime) and while cruising at FL135 we widnessed a beautiful sunrise over the New Guinee mountains. More screenshots in the Gallery!

The Doodlelink for leg 12: http://www.doodle.com/hnm3np267mfw5r7z

Peter

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2013, 08:40:58 pm »
My little contribution for the four to Wamena ;D

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2013, 06:56:36 pm »
Looks like the two of us, the Tropic Traders Tour Diehards, will be flying leg 12 next Tuesday the 12th at 20:00 houres!

Peter

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2013, 02:37:02 pm »
Suggested route leg 12 of the Tropic Traders Tour: WAJW (Wamena - NDB 222) - ZX (OKSIIL 343) - OKT (OK TEDI 114.80) - AYMR (MORO 114.60) - AYMN (MENDI); 319.2 nm - 1h53m - 170kts?

Meet you on Mumble this evening at 20:00 h ZuluTime!

Peter

Offline EHM-1882 Gian

• Super cruise
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2013, 03:14:05 pm »
I'm in:)

See you all

Gian
EHM-1882

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2013, 10:01:30 am »
Thank you, guys, for a pleasant flight through this lovely mountainous scenery. And the spectacular rolercoaster approach of all in to AYMN, of course :D
I did not make any screenshots this time (X-Plane is not so screenshot friendly as FSX :( ). I'll try to think of that for the next flight.
Meanwhile, I upgraded to X-Plane 10.20, which also contains the 64 bit version. I will be trying to install all the necessary plugins (XPUIPC, X-IvAp), and hope to fly on all 64 bits next time.
Twice the bits, twice the powerrrr! You won't be able to keep up with me, for sure, David ;)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2013, 10:05:44 am »
Here're the screenshot results of yesterday's Tropic Traders flight and of course the Doodle-link for the 13th leg: http://www.doodle.com/9qy58563iwtvex6u

Peter

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2013, 11:28:26 am »
Haha, did not notice your reg before, Peter :)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2013, 01:27:51 pm »
Some shots guys :)
Thanks again for flying together and see you for the 13 leg AYMN Mendi Airport - CGC Cape Gloucester  ;)

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2013, 06:02:45 pm »
Leg 13 AYMN-CGC is scheduled for tomorrow the 18th at 20:00 houres!

Meet you on Mumble!

Peter

Offline EHM-1882 Gian

• Super cruise
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2013, 04:22:05 pm »
I'm in. Peter I understand it is 20.00Z right?
See you to-morrow ;)
Gian

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2013, 10:25:03 am »
An ehhm, ..., interesting evening, to say the least :)

It all started with a bit of a delay due to all of us having Flight Logger issues discussed in another thread. After solving them, we (Peter, David, and myself) took off at around 2030Z. At that time, Gian came to join us from his flight from Atlanta to Bermuda, so we were with 4 already. Having to catch up, he used some accelerated time to Concorde his way to join the herd.

Climbing out, there were some patches of ground fog, but no significant weather.

En route, approaching GA, still climbing to avoid the terrain.

Upon approaching Cape Gloucester, some clouds appeared, with a cloud base initially at some 3000 ft. Later, near our destination, the ceiling dropped to 1100 ft. Or at least in my (XP10) environment. In XP10, runways are more difficult to discern than in FS9/FSX, and flying low does not help then! Luckily, Trevor had by then found his way to CPG / CGC, so his flashing beacon lights could serve as an initial guidance :)

Creating my own dust storm at the dirt strip of Cape Gloucester  ;D As you can see, there are some differences in scenery between the sims.

After filing my PIREP, I tried to join the rest of the crew for a group picture moment. As they were all sitting in (or actually "over") the sea in my scenery, I had to go very close to the edge of the water. And, of course, I fell inn (lost my #1 prop in doing so).

Amazing how much buoyancy a DC-3 has, in X-Plane ;)
Floating off into the sunset.

At around half-way the trip, I lost both engines. Probably I overloaded them trying to catch up with Peter and David, at high altitude. Not a fuel issue, this time. Temperatures appeared to remain in the green, until the engines stopped.By then CHT gauges indicated 0. Either the gauges broke down, or some electrical failure had occurred, or the cylinder heads were actually really cold. Cannot determine that any more. But flying in mountainous terrain, without propulsion, that's not a preferred situation. AYGA was the nearest field, so I tried an emergency landing there. I did not have the gliding range, though (I kept her pretty neatly at best glide speed). But, lucky for me, the terrain in the vicinity of the airport was relatively flattened. A last minute gear-down, and full flaps to bleed off all possible speed, I gently touched down in a grass patty some 3 nm short of the airfield. Flightlogger found that I had landed (not at destination), not crashed, so I must have done it right. ;) After some quick repairs, I was soon ready to depart again. I would take the direct rout to CGC, deviating only to avoid the mountains. I ended up just ahead of Peter and David, while Gian had already Concorded past me to land as #1.

So, with the FL issues, the emergency landing, and the excursion on to the water, all in all quite an adventure. And that on a regular Monday evening ...
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2013, 10:41:53 am »
Very nice report of our mission of last night EJ!

Here's the Doodle-link for leg 14 of the TTT from CGC (CPG) to AYKY: http://www.doodle.com/7srw864h2i49a832

and, of course, my screenshot contribution can be found in the Gallery: http://www.fly-euroharmony.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=45

See you all next week perhaps?

Peter

• Global Moderator
  • Intergalactic!!
    • My pictures
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2013, 11:32:30 am »
Ah, I see!
I was PanicAir do Brasil. That explains a lot! ;)
EHM-2387 Eric-Jan Oud

Offline EHM-2758 Peter

• Martian transfer
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2013, 04:50:28 pm »
Hi EJ,

Must be a slip of the pen... ehhh keyboard. You probably meant Panair Do Brasil and what's a 'panic'-air situation, if you compare it to what these pilots have to endure who fly across Colombia!
Just watch this video: http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/riskingitall/2011/05/201151112305049621.html

Al Jazeera hitched a ride on one of the 30 DC3's that fly across Colombia regularly. It proved to be a risky trip; over the Amazonian rainforest, the plane was caught in a violent storm. Amid turbulence, without visibility and no radio contact, it took the captain enormous effort to steer the metal bird above the clouds.
"It's dangerous," Captain Raul told Al Jazeera. "The slightest problem and the plane will just fall out of the sky."
The DC3's serve a number of Indian villages in the Amazon, and they are often the only means of transportation connecting the jungle towns to the outside world. Raul transports villagers, furniture, mattresses and animals in his plane.
No one seems to know the exact age of the plane Raul is flying. "During the war the flight data wasn't recorded. It only began when we started taking passengers and freight, when civil aviation began," the captain told Al Jazeera. "I think it was updated in 1962."

Yet the ancient model seems to miraculously land and take off in the harsh conditions of the Amazonian. For Raul, no control towers, minimal fuel reserves, and a slippery landing strip instead of a runway are daily business.

Read Al Jazeera's full report from Colombia on their website. Above, watch the full episode of Risking It All.

Enjoy,

Peter
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:54:51 pm by EHM-2758 Peter »

Offline EHM-2589 David

• Martian transfer
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2013, 09:02:35 pm »
Thanks E-J and Peter for the report, photos, video, doodle, etc. and I post some photos too  ;D
See you next week :)

anything